More threads by Nicollette

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The very large number of people who have benefited from these medications without any of the adverse reactions claimed by Professor Ashton speak for themselves, too.

nicollette please listen all we are saying is every person is different some people the meds will work and other maybe not to say all meds are bad are not true because they have helped may people if these meds are not for you i hope you find some that will help you take care of you okay mary

Retired

Treatments in modern medicine are selected by evaluating the available options for treatments indicated for a given disease or disorder, based on the benefits vs the risks of the treatment options.

Treatments for psychiatric disorders are relatively recent, originating in the late 1950's. Prior to that time, people with anxiety, depression, schizophrenia were either shunned by society, or were warehoused in secluded psychiatric hospitals with little or no hope for recovery.

Early treatments for anxiety, other than alcohol, included barbiturates which altered enzyme induction in the metabolic process, a primary mechanism of action for true addiction.

The development of benzodiazepines allowed physicians to treat anxiety without the risk of this metabolic action, so large percentages of the population were now being safely treated. Sheer numbers brought to our attention what were relatively low percentages of adverse effects.

No medication is entirely free of adverse side effects, but by evaluating benefits vs risks, the option is considered safe.

When used as indicated for acute anxiety, according to instructions, benzodiazepines offer a safe option for most people.

In the late 1980's when researchers discovered so-called designer drugs, where molecules were designed to fit a specific need, SSRI's and SNRI's came into being to treat depression and chronic anxiety disorders.

Again their effectiveness and relative safety made this treatment option available to a huge percentage of the population.

Again these large numbers brought adverse effects to our attention.

However as has been said, based on benefits vs risks, significantly higher percentages of people obtained relief from their depression and anxiety than the people who experienced long lasting adverse effects.

This does not minimize the importance of the individuals who experienced the adverse reactions, but no medication is absolutely free of adverse effects. On the other hand, the relatively small percentage of people experiencing adverse effects compared to the large percentage who are successfully treated should not indict a whole class of medications.

Working in partnership with one's physician can help alleviate the problems.

Until we get something better, these are what we have...and what we have is better than what those unfortunate people of the pre-1950's years were destined to endure in those archaic and inhumane "insane assylums".

It's a matter of available treatment options and the benefits vs risks of the options we have

Nicollette

Just an update; I have started my taper directly off alprazolam; I have cut out .125mg. from 1.75mg about two weeks ago, and am ready for another cut next week, of .125, which will bring me to 1.5mg.

So far, so good! I will be very happy to be off this drug. I know I slept much better without it when I tapered off it years ago; wish I had never gone back to it.

Thanks for the concern to all. This is what is best for me. I never was as anxious before the benzo as I have been on them after 20 years.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.