More threads by Cin

Cin

Over the past year, my time keeping has been getting from bad to worse, to diabolical. If im going somewhere im about two hrs late, no matter whether ive woken up early or am ready early. Im still late. It has got to the point of my work threatening to sack me for my constant lateness, and im embaressed to say, ive got no reason to be late but i still am. Whether its work, lesiure, or merely popping out iam always late. It sounds a silly thing to complain about but its ruinning my life, IAM ruining mmy life. Ive tried getting up earlier, ive tried organising everything the day before, sleeping earlier.....still late. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cin

Over the past year, my time keeping has been getting from bad to worse, to diabolical. If im going somewhere im about two hrs late, no matter whether ive woken up early or am ready early. Im still late. It has got to the point of my work threatening to sack me for my constant lateness, and im embaressed to say, ive got no reason to be late but i still am. Whether its work, lesiure, or merely popping out iam always late. It sounds a silly thing to complain about but its ruinning my life, IAM ruining mmy life. Ive tried getting up earlier, ive tried organising everything the day before, sleeping earlier.....still late. Does anyone have any ideas?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Maybe you are procrastinating, or have less energy, or are more distracted or depressed than usual? What are you doing when you should be at work?

If the problem is being too distracted to remember when it's time to leave, then setting an alarm clock or kitchen timer may help.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Maybe you are procrastinating, or have less energy, or are more distracted or depressed than usual? What are you doing when you should be at work?

If the problem is being too distracted to remember when it's time to leave, then setting an alarm clock or kitchen timer may help.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Overcome Chronic Latenesshttp://wlb.monster.com/articles/late/
by Marty Nemko
Monster.com Contributing Writer

The cure to chronic lateness depends on what's causing it.

Cause 1: You underestimate how long things take.

Cure: Remember that many things can go wrong. So do what building contractors do: Add 25 to 50 percent to the time you think a task will take.

Cause 2: You enjoy the adrenaline rush of cutting it close.

Cure: Just once, try allowing too much time for a task. For example, if it takes 30 minutes to get to that job interview, allow 45 minutes. You may prefer the peace over the frenzy.

Cause 3: Distractibility or Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).

Cure: Allow only the minimum time needed to get the task done. The time pressure will help you resist distractions.

What You Could Do Today

If you are chronically late and suffer from any of the above causes, do your best to employ the suggested cures.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Overcome Chronic Latenesshttp://wlb.monster.com/articles/late/
by Marty Nemko
Monster.com Contributing Writer

The cure to chronic lateness depends on what's causing it.

Cause 1: You underestimate how long things take.

Cure: Remember that many things can go wrong. So do what building contractors do: Add 25 to 50 percent to the time you think a task will take.

Cause 2: You enjoy the adrenaline rush of cutting it close.

Cure: Just once, try allowing too much time for a task. For example, if it takes 30 minutes to get to that job interview, allow 45 minutes. You may prefer the peace over the frenzy.

Cause 3: Distractibility or Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).

Cure: Allow only the minimum time needed to get the task done. The time pressure will help you resist distractions.

What You Could Do Today

If you are chronically late and suffer from any of the above causes, do your best to employ the suggested cures.

Cin

Thank You Daniel. I tried the alarm thing and it seems to be working sort of. I just fiddle and check things alot before i leave the house. silly really.like i feel i cant just get up and leave.
Thank you im going to keep trying

Cin

Thank You Daniel. I tried the alarm thing and it seems to be working sort of. I just fiddle and check things alot before i leave the house. silly really.like i feel i cant just get up and leave.
Thank you im going to keep trying

Cin,

I wonder if your regular lateness has to do with some fear you have? Look at what you are thinking about prior to leaving. Take note of your concerns for the day...what you hope to accomplish during the day and the like. Also when did your lateness begin? What happened right before it began? Sorry for all the questions; however, I think these questions might find some idea why you are doing what you are doing. Thanks,

Cin,

I wonder if your regular lateness has to do with some fear you have? Look at what you are thinking about prior to leaving. Take note of your concerns for the day...what you hope to accomplish during the day and the like. Also when did your lateness begin? What happened right before it began? Sorry for all the questions; however, I think these questions might find some idea why you are doing what you are doing. Thanks,

ThatLady

All this fiddling and "checking things" sounds like OCD to me, Cin. Have you, by chance, been diagnosed with OCD?

ThatLady

All this fiddling and "checking things" sounds like OCD to me, Cin. Have you, by chance, been diagnosed with OCD?

Cin

Ive just been called in at work AGAIN for lateness; next time i do it, i get the stages of diciplinaries, which im guessing leads up to the sack after 3 stages.I have been trying REALLY hard this month, Really hard. It doesnt help that my work is a big cooperation that sit on you if you do anything (including being sick) discipline you. But, if the clock says im late, then yes iam late.

Comfort Zone - According to work; my lateness started in March; to be honest i cant rember anything happening in March. But ive always been a worrier, im always panicking, always going back for things, or checking i have something, checking things are off..little things really. Also ive developed some sort of thing for my appearance; but the thing is, im not a makeup person or a perfectionist when it comes to how i dress asearch. For example, my mum always says nowadays; " you spend so much time getting ready, and you still come out looking bad". But, maybe thats a self esteem issue.

That Lady - I havent been diagnosed with OCD, even when i spoke about with with my therapist he in a way, ignored the whole fiddling and checking part. When i check and fiddle with things its not done in a routine, I just randomly go about doing it. Maybe thats the thing, the fact that its not a routine maybe?

Cin

Ive just been called in at work AGAIN for lateness; next time i do it, i get the stages of diciplinaries, which im guessing leads up to the sack after 3 stages.I have been trying REALLY hard this month, Really hard. It doesnt help that my work is a big cooperation that sit on you if you do anything (including being sick) discipline you. But, if the clock says im late, then yes iam late.

Comfort Zone - According to work; my lateness started in March; to be honest i cant rember anything happening in March. But ive always been a worrier, im always panicking, always going back for things, or checking i have something, checking things are off..little things really. Also ive developed some sort of thing for my appearance; but the thing is, im not a makeup person or a perfectionist when it comes to how i dress asearch. For example, my mum always says nowadays; " you spend so much time getting ready, and you still come out looking bad". But, maybe thats a self esteem issue.

That Lady - I havent been diagnosed with OCD, even when i spoke about with with my therapist he in a way, ignored the whole fiddling and checking part. When i check and fiddle with things its not done in a routine, I just randomly go about doing it. Maybe thats the thing, the fact that its not a routine maybe?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
my mum always says nowadays; " you spend so much time getting ready, and you still come out looking bad".
Good grief... does the woman think that is in any conceivable way going to HELP you? I do think SHE is a lot of your problem...

It may help you to see a counselor or even your family doctor so that they can perhaps intervene with the employer on a medical basis - this isn't laziness or voluntary tardiness or disinterest... it's something else.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
my mum always says nowadays; " you spend so much time getting ready, and you still come out looking bad".
Good grief... does the woman think that is in any conceivable way going to HELP you? I do think SHE is a lot of your problem...

It may help you to see a counselor or even your family doctor so that they can perhaps intervene with the employer on a medical basis - this isn't laziness or voluntary tardiness or disinterest... it's something else.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.