More threads by Elena

Elena

I forgot to ask you this yesterday, when I first contacted you last year, I had doubts about psychoanalysis and you kindly suggested me, among other things, to try cognitive therapy. So far, I have not been able to afford it and I do not know how soon my finances will be healthy enough. I've read some books by Erich Fromm and Carl G: Jung mainly and a couple by Karen Horney which were most helpful during my former therapy. I wonder if you could tell me which books on Cognitive therapy I could read while I can afford some sessions. Thanks for your kind help.:dimples:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The best ones I know are by David Burns:

Feeling Good: The New Therapy (depression)

The Feeling Good Handbook (general for depression, anxiety, anger, etc.)

When Panic Attacks (panic disorder)

There's also a book by a different author called Mind Over Mood which several people have recommended - I've just not got around to finding and reading it yet.

These books are often available at amazon.com at quite reasonable prices, new or used.

Halo

I have the Mind Over Mood book which is actually a workbook similar I believe to that of The Feel Good Handbook.

begonia

I have Mind Over Mood, The Feel Good Handbook, and Feeling Good. I like to have a variety of books so that they reinforce each other. I also like these books because different authors have different voices and give different examples. I'd recommend all three.

Halo

Begonia,

Did you find though that the Mind Over Mood and The Feel Good Handbook were quite similar in your opinion?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I just want to mention that a free, online book that is pretty good is You Can't Afford the Luxury of Another Negative Thought. Certainly, it doesn't have the acclaim or thoroughness of anything written by Dr. Burns and isn't the self-help book of the century. However, the hardcover edition does get good reviews at Amazon.com, and I love the title of the book. It's freely available in PDF and HTML format. At a minimum, the book is something you can easily scan over while waiting for something better to arrive. A decade ago, when the book was more popular, it was recommened by my therapist at the time. It was also recommended by Oprah.

BTW:

Self-Help: Shattering the Myths - PsychologyToday

begonia

Nancy:
In reply to your question, yes, Mind Over Mood and The Feeling Good Handbook are similar. They endorse the same aspects of cognitive therapy. But I like having more than one book, so I don't "memorize" one author's voice and examples. The fact that I have more than one book serves to reinforce the message for me. I switch back and forth and read different passages.

Elena

:DThank you all for your recommendations. I guess the on-line book will be the first one I?ll read while I order others to Amazon.
When your therapyst tells you to read something you can comment or ask questions with them and this enriches the whole thing. Actually it's part of the process, I guess. Woul I bother you too much if I told you my impressions or ask for your comments after I read them, or while reading them?:confused:
Thank you so much.:cat:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.