More threads by suewatters1

Does any of you lady's notice a difference with the severity of your depression during your monthly cycle/periods.

I find it makes me feel worse. I am going to ask my GYN about burning the lining of my uterus. He offered that to me last year when my cycles were not on a regular schedule but only lasted a few months. I said no because that would mean my chance of having a child would be gone but I realize I can't have children if I am on a lot of medication.

I started having problem with periods as a teenager I get bad headaches and some cramps but the fatigue is bad also. I could sleep 13 hours straight no problem. That is usually the first few days. So for about 2 or 3 days a month I am useless.

So realizing my depression is not getting better but worse again I feel that this would be a good option. MY psychoanalyst agrees with me 100%.

I have to go see my GYN next month for my 6 months checkup for another colposcopy and pap test. I will ask him to schedule me for it. If he asks me why I will tell him I have enough problems I don't need more problems by having periods were a few days it wreak havoc with my body and mind.

So anybody else find that their periods makes their depression worse?

Sue

Mari

MVP
So anybody else find that their periods makes their depression worse?

I was always very lucky with having perfect periods if there is such a thing. Around age 45 I did have some minor problems and the gynecologist recommended treatment but I refused. The gynecologist was concerned that my problems would worsen without treatment but it was my choice. Almost fifteen years later and the minor problems are still minor. I hope it stays that way. Whatever choice you make I hope your mind and body will feel better. :goodluck: Mari

ladylore

Account Closed
I am with you on this one Sue. All I can say is thank goodness for the medication I started a this summer. Its like night and day. The past cycle was a bit hard but nothing like it has been.

I had lived this way for years. The first anti-depressant I was on didn't even touch it. I am thankful that I hung on and tried something else.

Lana

I come from a different school of thought :D

I have bad case of endometriosis and have suffered from serious cramps since I was a teenager. Sometimes, it would get so bad that I'd pass out. In addition, my emotional state would always change with each cycle. I can always tell when my period is coming simply by my thinking patterns.

I have been on birth control all my younger years and had to stop them when I hit 35. I tried having children but that didn't work. I tried injections, but had intolerance to them (and non-stop spotting). I thought that having children wasn't going to be an issue -- I was wrong. I'd tolerate anything to have a child now. But...that may not come to pass....and it breaks my heart. I still get severe depression and severe cramps also.

So, while you may think that you don't want children in the future, I beg you to consider another option that does not damage that ability. There are treatments available that can ease your discomfort and help with depression. Speak to your doctor about anti-depressants that you take and maybe you can take a higher doze during difficult times and see how that goes.

Hi Lana I am 45 years old and I have no boyfriend and my house is a disaster zone. With all the meds I am on now no way I could get off them for 9 months. I always thought of adoption of a C.A.S child. If I was 35 that would be another story and this month my periods really did a number on me.

I have enough of a hard time with getting up in the morning that I don't need this bothering me every month. I want to be able to wake up and say I am glad I am alive and I can't say that right now. So I got to concentrate on trying to find a reason to live. To me that is more important then kids right now.

Ladylore. I always had PMS for 1 week before my periods. But since I got on the dose of ADHD medication I am on now I might get 1 day of PMS the day I start. So for about almost 2 years my PMS had gotten better but not the first few days of my periods I could sleep so much and it ruins my life.

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinion. :)

Sue

Oh my goodness-yes! I was so moody during that time of the month that my mama had to sneak off to the other side of the house and tippy-toe around me until the dreadful period finnally ended.Plus, with the bipolar I was high and then weepy sad.I called my psychiatrist and he told me that no you don't need your lithium increased, but this is common for a lot of women!

You may also have premenstrual dysmorphic disorder which I do and I am taking the pill(I am 36).I live like a nun, but the pill really does help with cramps and menstrual flow! Also, I had a manager that had endomotriosis and went on the pill, but she was able after she married to have children!

I am a woman-hear my roar!(tippy-toe, tippy-toe)

Lana

I have also been diagnosed with PMDD. Intrestingly, literature on the condition said that prolonged use of the birth control pill can actually contribute to PMDD. Recommended treatment is SSRI to be taken few days before onset of period, or throught the cycle.

Prayerbear that is funny. I realize now I am not alone. But if I didn't have the depression right now it probably wouldn't bother me so much. I know my periods are not as bad as some people but with the combination of severe depression and other health issues on top of that it's more then I want right now. At work I am tired by the middle of the afternoon if not sooner because of of other health issues. I have a hard time to do an 8 hour shift but I do it but come home burnt. I run out of steam..

I was on SSRI's in the past and that didn't help me at all. I was taking them for anxiety.

Sue

Sorry, I do understand depression..I am bipolar. I take myself too seriously sometimes and make self-depreciating comments to lighten the mood.No offense by it-sorry!

I was not offended prayerbear. You were trying to lighten up the mood and it did cheer me up. I think the first laugh I had that day

Please there is nothing to be sorry about anything. I need to laugh more often.
I find we have to find things to lighten up the mood especially when were depress.

Was not offended what so ever.

Take Care

Sue

I notice a significant increase in anxiety and sadness about a week and a half before I begin my cycle. I also notice that I get "stuck" in my anxiety until about 1 or 2 days before --- and then I take immediate (and sometimes abrupt) action to rectify whatever the focus of my anxiety is. So, for example if I am feeling anxious and depressed about my body image and weight gain, I find myself running up mountains 2 days before I menstruate. Or if I'm anxious about not making enough money, I'll put together a mini business plan for some great new idea or apply for a 3rd job.

I'm glad I saw this thread cause I'm in PMS mode now and was feeling seemingly unbearable anxiety all day today. My fixation this month is the guy I just started dating. But after reading this thread, I'm reminding myself I don't need to form to any solid conclusions TONIGHT. I can also assume it's highly possible my panic juuuuust might be PMS induced.

Ah geeze, to be a woman.

Seraphine

Sue...i know what you mean. Since i started my period in my very early teens i did not have many strong symptoms...IF i had cramps they were very light. The only thing was, i'd get tired. Since i turned 30, everything changed. I go up two or three pant sizes because of bloating, and i become a completely different person. It's become worse in the last six months or so (i'll be 32 in a week and a half). I start changing about ten days before my period actually shows up. I become excessively tired..more like exhausted to the point where it's very difficult to wake up in the morning. I'm very weak and very weepy. I can cry at the drop of a hat.
I've heard of this PMDD...i read about it and found that it is exactly what i'm feeling. I'm reluctant to start prescription drugs though.
Have you seen your doctor about it?

Actually I go see my GYN on the 15th and will ask him to perform a specific procedure so I would very little period or no period. He offered that to me last year when my periods were irregular for a while but then they became normal. But now with my depression being the way it is and everything else going on in my life I can't afford to have that making me feel worse. My psychoanalyst agrees with me. Well I am 45 and with the meds I am on and single no chance to ahve a child that way so might as well get the procedure done.
My mood swings starts a day before or the day of my periods and last a few days. Before I got treated for my ADHD my mood swings would start a week early.

Sue

Hey Sue, sounds like you're making a good decision to see your GYN and ask about the procedure. Like you, I need to ensure I'm taking all realistic preventative measures to limit opportunities for a depressive episode. Keep us posted :)

naiad

The same thing happened to me. I first noticed a shift in mood prior to my period as a teenager. As an adult, I am careful to avoid making any major decisions during the week before my period and avoiding stressful situations as much as possible during this time. I try to do something nice for myself such as a manicure or a facial. I avoid shopping as I risk overspending or buying something stupid that I do not want or need. This moodiness is something I could do without & I am tired of living around it. It has affected & controlled my life for far too long. I would like an actual cure for it. Does anyone out there know of one?

naiad

Chocolate is the ultimate cure: a real panacea. This month, I baked those fab chocolate cupcakes on the cover of the latest Martha Stewart Living magazine. The one with the rainbow frosted cupcakes arranged to form a heart. It definitely cures monthly depression ;) . On top of that, it is an easy one-bowl PMS-proof recipe. I highly recommend it!

I used to get very depressed and/or very ****ed off before my period...until I started eating right...now its not as bad. Exercise helps too...when I'm in a bad mood I just go for a long run and feel much better. I have always had severe cramps (nothing has helped that)...but thank God I have doctor who prescribed me a pain med that works pretty good at the max dose (Tramadol). I just take that for 2 days to get me through the worst of it.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.