More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“We have vilified people's scars, people's wounds, and people's hiding places and we have told them that they don't belong "out here like that." Instead of going in there where they are, lighting a candle, and saying, "thanks for letting me inside".”

― C. JoyBell C.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"If we all knew who else was on antidepressant medication, there would be ZERO stigma. Tons of pro athletes, tons of celebrities, tons of amazing scholars and comedians and parents and children and many of your friends, too."

~ David Roche

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

When I walk down the aisle this time, in front of every person who knows me, it will be as someone who lives in their body. Not a bride on a cake, but as myself, a person who is too complicated for the simple rituals that are the pattern of our lives.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

What people with mental illness are facing is not stigma, it’s discrimination. If you believe as I do that NAMI is a movement, a civil and human rights movement, we need to start saying the word—discrimination—more often.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 10.54.01 PM.jpg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 6.59.08 AM.jpg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“But today’s society is characterized by achievement orientation, and consequently it adores people who are successful and happy and, in particular, it adores the young. It virtually ignores the value of all those who are otherwise, and in so doing blurs the decisive difference between being valuable in the sense of dignity and being valuable in the sense of usefulness."

~ Viktor E. Frankl

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

SMI [serious mental illness] makes a person a member of "them"—no longer "one of us."

Many people hide their diagnosis, because they know that after their disclosure, a good proportion of people would likely see them in a different light or not know how to interact with them without awkwardness, even if they have the best of intentions...

When some level of understanding is established, over time, the "othered'' person is no longer a member of "them," but starts to be accepted as a member of "us."

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.