More threads by sister-ray

The nights are getting darker, as are the mornings and the days, here in England I dread winter, my depression can be bad in summer, but its winter I dread, just feel like sleeping all the time, no energy, general aches and pains, in tears alot. I also put on weight through not doing so much and eating different foods to what I do in summer. I'm just wishing summer to be back again...

Dreading winter.

The nights are getting darker, as are the mornings and the days, here in England I dread winter, my depression can be bad in summer, but its winter I dread, just feel like sleeping all the time, no energy, general aches and pains, in tears alot. I also put on weight through not doing so much and eating different foods to what I do in summer. I'm just wishing summer to be back again...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Dreading winter.

Are you receiving treatment for this? Medications? SAD lights? Have you tried increasing omega-3's in your diet or adding supplements?

What has worked and what hasn't so far?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Dreading winter.

Are you receiving treatment for this? Medications? SAD lights? Have you tried increasing omega-3's in your diet or adding supplements?

What has worked and what hasn't so far?

Dreading winter.

Dr Baxter,
I dont tolerate anti-depressants well because of side effects, but in the winter usally have to take them because it gets bad, my Doctor gives me either Amtriplyine or Seroxat. I would love to buy one of those lights but they are expensive and as far as I know are not available here free/or low cost. I dont eat meat or fish. the anti-depressants help but its the side effects, Sexorat mades me jittery and cant sleep at all and my appetite goes, had the same with Prozac, I just wish I could find something that doesnt cause to many side effects that make me feel even more poorly than I do anyway.

Dreading winter.

Dr Baxter,
I dont tolerate anti-depressants well because of side effects, but in the winter usally have to take them because it gets bad, my Doctor gives me either Amtriplyine or Seroxat. I would love to buy one of those lights but they are expensive and as far as I know are not available here free/or low cost. I dont eat meat or fish. the anti-depressants help but its the side effects, Sexorat mades me jittery and cant sleep at all and my appetite goes, had the same with Prozac, I just wish I could find something that doesnt cause to many side effects that make me feel even more poorly than I do anyway.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Dreading winter.

Would you be able to take salmon oil capsules (supplements)? If not, try flax seed oil, although that tends to be hard on the tummy for many people. Also, if you eat dairy you can now get omega-3 supplemented eggs and milk.

Seroxat is paroxetine -- called Paxil in North America. But that is an SSRI and one that people often have difficulty with. There are a number of others in the SSRI family that might be less onerous in terms of side-effects -- Cipralex (escitalopram, aka Lexapro) is one -- or there's also Wellbutrin, which isn't an SSRI at all.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Dreading winter.

Would you be able to take salmon oil capsules (supplements)? If not, try flax seed oil, although that tends to be hard on the tummy for many people. Also, if you eat dairy you can now get omega-3 supplemented eggs and milk.

Seroxat is paroxetine -- called Paxil in North America. But that is an SSRI and one that people often have difficulty with. There are a number of others in the SSRI family that might be less onerous in terms of side-effects -- Cipralex (escitalopram, aka Lexapro) is one -- or there's also Wellbutrin, which isn't an SSRI at all.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Dreading winter.

Other alternatives to improve sleep: trazodone (not a sleeping pill but actually an antidepressant but because it makes people sleepy it isn't used as a primary antidepressant) and a low dose of clonazepam taken at night.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Dreading winter.

Other alternatives to improve sleep: trazodone (not a sleeping pill but actually an antidepressant but because it makes people sleepy it isn't used as a primary antidepressant) and a low dose of clonazepam taken at night.

Dreading winter.

Thanks Doctor Baxter,
I will look into the flax seed oil tablets and some of the other tablets you mentioned, my Doctor tryed tradozone(Mollipaxin) and I had a bad reaction too it, I started itching and then came out in bruises so he took me off it.

Dreading winter.

Thanks Doctor Baxter,
I will look into the flax seed oil tablets and some of the other tablets you mentioned, my Doctor tryed tradozone(Mollipaxin) and I had a bad reaction too it, I started itching and then came out in bruises so he took me off it.

Dreading winter.

I mentioned this to my doctor a while ago after hearing about it somewhere and he wouldnt give it me, he said it was for seizures and not suitable for me, Im not sure but isnt it a benzodiazepine but it isnt as additive as valium? I will mention it again next time and see what he says. Thanks.

Dreading winter.

I mentioned this to my doctor a while ago after hearing about it somewhere and he wouldnt give it me, he said it was for seizures and not suitable for me, Im not sure but isnt it a benzodiazepine but it isnt as additive as valium? I will mention it again next time and see what he says. Thanks.

Dreading winter.

Hi T,

It is used for seizures but it helps alleviate anxiety. It is a benzo and can be addictive. It can be taken before bedtime. Hopefully you will find something that will work without significant problems. A full spectrum light can be helpful in the evenings as well for SAD.

Dreading winter.

Hi T,

It is used for seizures but it helps alleviate anxiety. It is a benzo and can be addictive. It can be taken before bedtime. Hopefully you will find something that will work without significant problems. A full spectrum light can be helpful in the evenings as well for SAD.

Retired

Dreading winter.

From the research I have done on the subject of benzodiazepines, the issue of addiction is not fully supported by the literature.

OTOH benzodiazepines are known to have a potential for habituation or psychological dependence which appears to be related to higher dosage levels and duration of therapy.

Clonazepam originally was indicated as an anti convulsant, but was found effective in treating panic disorders.

Use as a hypnotic (sleeping aid) might be questioned as the metabolic half life of clonazepam is in the order of 20 to 30 hours, which would appear to result in accumulation during the treatment period, resulting in increased daytime somnolence....until steady state was reached.

Another consideration for clonazepam is its potential for drug/drug interactions, increasing the chances for complications.

If the goal is to provide a sleeping aid, there are new and very specific medications designed as hypnotics; however if a physician were to consider using a benzodiazepine as a hypnotic, a short half compound with a rapid steady state and low potential for drug interaction might be considered.

Examples of such a benzodiazepine might be lorazepam (Ativan) Half life is 8 hours, and peak blood levels occur between the second and third hour, so it can be taken before bedtime and the drug is eliminated from the body when the person wakes up...leaaving virtually no after effects of somnolence.

I stand to be corrected on my understanding of the pharmacokinetics of benzodiazepines

Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD) is a disorder that seems to respond to SAD Light Box therapy based on research I have seen reported. There are pharmacies that sell light boxes fully constructed and ready to go.

Have you ever tried light box therapy "Through-The -Eyes?

Retired

Dreading winter.

From the research I have done on the subject of benzodiazepines, the issue of addiction is not fully supported by the literature.

OTOH benzodiazepines are known to have a potential for habituation or psychological dependence which appears to be related to higher dosage levels and duration of therapy.

Clonazepam originally was indicated as an anti convulsant, but was found effective in treating panic disorders.

Use as a hypnotic (sleeping aid) might be questioned as the metabolic half life of clonazepam is in the order of 20 to 30 hours, which would appear to result in accumulation during the treatment period, resulting in increased daytime somnolence....until steady state was reached.

Another consideration for clonazepam is its potential for drug/drug interactions, increasing the chances for complications.

If the goal is to provide a sleeping aid, there are new and very specific medications designed as hypnotics; however if a physician were to consider using a benzodiazepine as a hypnotic, a short half compound with a rapid steady state and low potential for drug interaction might be considered.

Examples of such a benzodiazepine might be lorazepam (Ativan) Half life is 8 hours, and peak blood levels occur between the second and third hour, so it can be taken before bedtime and the drug is eliminated from the body when the person wakes up...leaaving virtually no after effects of somnolence.

I stand to be corrected on my understanding of the pharmacokinetics of benzodiazepines

Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD) is a disorder that seems to respond to SAD Light Box therapy based on research I have seen reported. There are pharmacies that sell light boxes fully constructed and ready to go.

Have you ever tried light box therapy "Through-The -Eyes?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.