More threads by lallieth

lallieth

I realize that dwelling on a certain subject can make it worst.A friend of mine who has panic disorder says she doesn't "dwell" on it.In other words,the only time she talks about it is with her therapist,the only time she deals with it,is when she has a panic attack.Otherwise,she says,that anxiety is NOT a daily focus for her..she doesn't read about it,either on the internet or in books and she doesn't talk about it constantly

She believes that by not dwelling on it has allowed her alot more freedom from anxiety.She said that she changed her thinking patterns,and replaced any self anxiety talk with something else.

Now she just doesn't consider her anxiety as being of any importance and says she has better things to focus on

I think this sounds like a great way to deal with it

Lana

Hi, Lallieth;

I guess I'm a "dweller" :)

A couple of days ago, a coworker of mine made, what I felt, an insensitive comment. I didn't say anything, but I did "bring" that with me home and told my husband about it. The next day, I was talking to another coworker who witnessed the event and he laughed saying that he felt the comment (from the other guy) was so unexpected (because it was just so inappropriate). I said, "yes, but..."...and my friend said, "...and next week you'll be on vacation.". I smiled, "....well yes...but..." He repeated, "...next week you'll be on vacation, on a warm sunny beach" And, yes, I tried the yeah-but argument again only to be reminded, AGAIN ,of my upcoming vacation. LOL!

So, I'm thinking your friend is on the right track....and next week I'll be on vacation. :D

braveheart

I feel there's a clear place for thoughtful observation and self-reflection. Understanding, in my experience, can start to set me free.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
On a similar point:

My most recent work in this area is attempting to determine what makes some forms of self-reflection adaptive, and what characteristics of people make them able to use adaptive self-reflection but avoid maladaptive self-reflection.

Susan Nolen-Hoeksema, Yale Psychology Faculty

BTW, some tips for overcoming rumination are here:
Eating, Drinking, Overthinking: Toxic Triangle of Food, Alcohol, and Depression - Psychlinks Psychology and Self-Help Forum

Music can also help with preventing rumination:

Into the Light said:
from personal experience i can say music played an important part in my recovery. it distracts the brain from doing all the negative rumination.

Music therapy may ease depression - Psychlinks Psychology and Self-Help Forum

Also, I think any physical activity makes it easier for me to refocus.

There are also books on overcoming rumination, e.g.: Women Who Think Too Much: How to Break Free of Overthinking and Reclaim Your Life by Susan Nolen-Hoeksema

Last edited:

ladylore

Account Closed
I have found that the more positive my life is going in the present the less anxiety I have. I have felt it lessen over the past few months and I didn't even notice it, it was other people that told me they had noticed a change in me.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.