Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

A kale and lentil salad that refrigerates well:

1660005534662.jpg

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I tried the Instant Pot spaghetti with meat sauce recipe. I won't do that again. It came out very greasy. Better to make spaghetti the regular way.

It's fun experimenting though. :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I used the Instant Pot recently to make a stew with potatoes, carrots, and onions:

IMG-2112.jpg

To reheat the leftovers, I put the stew in a small black iron skillet, topped with cheese, and put it in the toaster oven (on broil at the end):

IMG-2119.jpg

It was very easy, especially since my husband did all the potato and carrot peeling :) We threw in some water and a packet of McCormick beef stew mix (which is actually vegan, unlike the Instant Pot mix by McCormick that has some beef fat).

I liked the onion taste of the stew the best, so I am going to make an onion soup in the near future.

In Canada, McCormick's Club House brand also has a line of Instant Pot seasoning mixes.

Here in the US, these Instant Pot mixes by McCormick are sold at most grocery stores, including Walmart (which also sells another brand of seasoning for the Instant Pot called Kinder's).

One good thing about shopping online for groceries is it makes it easier to find these various simmer sauces and seasonings. I also use Google site search. This is how I just found out that Progresso now has dry soup mixes with Instant Pot directions:

Instant Pot Directions: Add 8 cups water to 6-quart Instant Pot pan. Whisk in contents of pouch. Cook using SOUP setting for 10 minutes; follow manufacturer’s recommendation for venting soup.

For a while now, failed-in-Canada Target has been selling their own line of Instant-Pot-friendly sauces:

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.25.50 PM.jpg

Campbell's has a line of sauces for Crockpots which, according to the company, can also be used for Instant Pots. The same may also be true for their oven and skillet sauces.

Instant Pot has their own line of high-quality jarred sauces, but they are exclusively sold at Williams Sonoma for $17 USD (on sale for $10).

Though not marketed to Instant Pot users, a popular brand of Mexican sauces, Frontera, is also widely available at grocery stores, including in Canada. One recipe combines 1/4 cup of water with the seven ounces of sauce:

1660086560041.jpg

There are also an endless array of prepackaged Asian sauces and curry simmer sauces that can be incorporated for super-easy Instant Pot cooking. For my first potato curry, my plan is to just mix a jar of sauce, some water, and lots of raw diced potatoes. Then serve with Greek yogurt and/or rice. Then I will try an eggplant curry dish. For my first Asian noodle soup, I will use a pouch of hot soup base since I am already going to an Asian market in Phoenix this week.

But my next Instant Pot experiment will be Swedish meatballs, using frozen Impossible meatballs. I will use Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup for part of the base. McCormick has a Swedish meatball mix, but it is not vegetarian as it has some chicken fat.

Shockingly, my mother recently got an Instant Pot after being against any kitchen appliances for years (except her precious Crockpot, which she has already donated). So, to me, that is more proof that Instant Pot and the like is here to stay. For her birthday, I will be sending her some gourmet sauces and other items from Williams Sonoma.

Of course, most of my meals still have nothing to do with the Instant Pot. Lately, I have been making meals with whole-wheat pita bread and the toaster oven. Like a mushroom pizza and a Mexican breakfast pizza. The next thing will be falafel pitas and pizzas. And I may be using the Instant Pot to make my own pizza/pasta sauce with lots of veggies.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From an online collection of easy-to-make sauces:

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

HOW TO ADD HOISIN SAUCE TO ANY MEAL

While Asian cookbooks include many hoisin recipes, you can prepare many other types of food with hoisin sauce, too. You can substitute it in any dish you might use barbecue sauce. Try hoisin sauce with these meals:

• Stir fry: Add a tablespoon or two of hoisin sauce to any stir fry and serve over rice.
  • Noodles: Add a tablespoon or two of hoisin sauce to noodles and serve with steamed vegetables, soft-boiled eggs and a savory broth for a filling meal.
  • Salmon: Combine equal parts soy sauce, hoisin sauce and lime juice. Use this mixture to glaze salmon fillets on the grill.
  • Beef: Hoisin sauce pairs wonderfully well with beef, so add a tablespoon of sauce to any Asian-flavored beef dish you create.
  • Hoisin peanut sauce: Combine about two tablespoons of hoisin with about half a cup of peanut butter and enough water to make a smooth sauce you can use for dipping Vietnamese rolls with rice paper.
  • Chicken: Coat chicken drumsticks with equal parts hoisin and orange juice and add in a tablespoon each of honey, garlic and lime juice before cooking in the oven.
  • Marinades: Create delicious marinades for meat, seafood or vegetables when you combine hoisin, honey, lemon, salt and garlic.
  • Carrots: Glaze carrots with equal parts maple syrup and hoisin sauce for a flavor twist.
  • Wraps: Brush vegetables or meat with hoisin sauce as you grill and then wrap up them in a toasted tortilla for a fresh take on a sandwich wrap.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's an interesting small environmentally friendly book. In stead of large photos for the soup and stew recipes, it uses QR codes. You scan the QRcode with your smart phone, and it downloads the photo of the soup/stew.

There's also an option to download the entire recipe book to your smart phone which will give you an the ability to download the entire recipe book to access by Kindle.+

Amazon product

Book.jpg

QRCode to download eBook:

QRcode to download eBook.jpg

QRCode for chicken noodle recipe - opens in default browser on smart phone.jpg

Image of scanned QRCode for chicken noodle soup:

Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe scanned image.jpg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Her other book is also free with Kindle Unlimited, but it is for a soup maker.

A negative review for the Philips soup maker:

"Imagine boiling soup on high for 15 minutes and blending that up. That's the extent of this device. Pales in comparison to say a (3-qt?) InstantPot that pressure cooks to perfection in the same amount of time. Lose out on blending but you actually get some decent soup, unlike with this device."

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From a vegan blog, Noble Veggies:

1660259439137.jpg

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Chicken noodle soup from the re ip[e above.... really a thick soup or stew but tasty:

chicken soup from recipe above.jpg

Not exactly as in the recipe. Missing a couple of ingredients and added a few things like peas and small chopped potatoes.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
1660271672378.jpg

A summer-friendly way to store leftovers
:coffee:

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have it in a large saucepan Going to try adding some tomato condensed soup when I reheat. I prefer that kind of soup with a bit of a tomato base instead of just chicken broth.

If the original is tasty, I love leftovers. Refrigerating also tends to blend the flavors while still keeping the individual flavors identifiabler, I find.

Update: with tomato soup added

1 can tomato soup added.jpg

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Amended Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup recipe​

Adding one can Campbell's Tomato Soup (with one can water) to the ingredients at the last stage greatly improves the overall flavor of the soup.

amended recipe 1.jpg

amended recipe 2.jpg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Other Instant Pot recipes with a can of tomato soup or canned tomatoes:

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.