More threads by Cat Dancer

I have read a lot of people saying that they don't like CBT and it wasn't effective for them. I thought the same thing when I first started out in therapy because I thought CBT didn't deal with "issues." But what I've found out is that it is very effective in dealing with thinking processes which is extremely important in dealing with everyday life. If that makes any sense.

I guess the best therapy approach for me is one that includes different methods, but I just wanted to say that giving CBT a chance is not a bad idea.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
And, for those who have been laid off, it can even pay for itself :)

Those in the CBT group had significantly better improvements in mental health measures, and significantly more of them had found full-time work by the follow-up period. As researchers noted, “…results suggest that group CBT training can improve mental health and produce tangible benefits in job-finding.”

http://www.beckinstituteblog.org/?p=214#more-214

ladylore

Account Closed
I like the more holistic approach too. Preferably, I like to have a therapist who used many methods - CBT being one of them. It is very effective.

boi

I think the same thing Cat Dancer. CBT doesnt deal with "issues" but I am giving it a chance as well and it seems to be helping a little.

Jazzey

Account Closed
I'm reading this thread and feeling a bit ignorant right now. I'm of the volition that I trust my psychologist. I won't lie - I have no real appreciation of what therapy I'm undergoing right now. But I'll say that I feel that my psychologist gets me and accomodates my needs - that's really all I need for right now. I do know that CBT is a component of it. Maybe with time, I'll actually ask more questions on where she's taking me. But I'll follow her wherever she wants to take me as long as it resolves my issues.

Cat Dancer - CBT, from everything I've read, is exactly what I need in terms of settling my issues too. But I'm just open to whatever means come my way to make me feel ok about everything again. I hope this makes sense? :hug: :hug:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Regarding one of the limitations of CBT's focus:

[CBT] is a therapy that aims to cure individuals of their unhelpful thinking. It does not draw on the social and relational contexts that are crucial resources to support recovery. Neither is CBT a "cure-all", and its promotion as such misses the point that people thrive in relationships - and that relational impoverishment requires relational nourishment.

Family therapy, for example, is inadequately and patchily provided in the NHS despite clear evidence of its long-term effectiveness and "value for money". Research support is provided for individually oriented therapies, but rarely for therapies that work through relationships.

Peter Stratton: Wellbeing is not about the individual - it's about relationships | Comment is free | The Guardian
Cognitive-behavioral therapy is effective for generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), but only about 50% of GAD patients achieve remission with the standard CBT approach. Some investigators have hypothesized that interpersonal conflict within the patient’s committed relationship is an important factor in maintaining GAD symptoms.

http://psychiatry.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/2007/409/1
The larger National Institute of Mental Health(NIMH) study 13 years later studied 250 outpatients randomized to Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), IPT [Interpersonal Psychotherapy], Imipramine or Clinical management. CBT, IPT and Imipramine were equal in antidepressant efficacy at 12 weeks. Curiously, the patients studied who scored greater than 20 (defined as "severe depression") on the Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression responded as well to IPT as Imipramine. Those patients receiving CBT with severe depression did not do as well.

http://www.interpersonalpsychotherapy.org/whatis.htm
I think that's a good point for self-help CBT, but I haven't heard of any therapists who don't bring up the issue of relationships :)

Last edited:

ladylore

Account Closed
CBT has taught me about perspective, other people's perspective, for the most part. Instead of being stuck in my head, in anger, sadness - I can take a step back and see what is going on, from other points of view.

The way I see or think of the world around me may not be the best or healthiest choice at a given moment. Hell - it was the first time that I could ever admit that I was wrong, and be ok with it.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
On that CBT-positive note:

Cognitive Therapy (CT) is used for many disorders, but it’s also effective for everyday problems… including relationship problems. It can help people untangle the misinterpretations and distorted thinking that pop up, especially when expectations are high.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/relationships/8954-love-is-never-enough.html
One of the major findings of the trial was that while CBT and IPT [interpersonal therapy] had equivalent overall outcomes, CBT had better outcomes for patients who were initially more severely depressed. This is an important result, which is contrary to the oft-cited NIMH trial.

Cognitive behavioural therapy and interpersonal therapy comparably effective for major depression (2008)
Cognitive-behavioral therapy was significantly more rapid in engendering improvement in patients with bulimia nervosa than IPT. This suggests that CBT should be considered the preferred psychotherapeutic treatment for bulimia nervosa.

http://www.homepage.psy.utexas.edu/...ssigned Readings/Eating Disorders/Agras00.pdf

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.