More threads by GemmaR

GemmaR

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to see what other peoples opinion on my fear is............I'm really not joking either, I'm so scared of zombies.

I'm not sure if it's because they chase you, or bite you or whether it's just so un-natural that dead people are alive again but I just cannot get over this fear.

I'm aware that zombies that are in films and on tv are made up and any stories about 'real' zombies are from Hatian folk law but I only have to think about a zombie film or see it mentioned in the tv guide and that night is plagued with nightmares.

I am aware that I have an over active imagination - I've even thought of how I would escape the house with my husband and son if a zombie invasion occured and if I could afford it, I would build a bomb shelter in the back garden full of food that could last for a year or something........ not for air raids though, just in case of zombie invasion.

The more I'm writing, the more stupid I seem, I know! It doesn't matter how much I think to myself that it's not real (the fact that I know it's not real leads me to think that it is something about the chasing or the biting that I'm afraid of) I just can't get over this fear. If it ever happened, it would be my worst nightmare.

So, can anyone help me to decode this stupid fear? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Gemma

Jazzey

Account Closed
Re: Fear Of Zombies

Hi Gemma,

And welcome to Pyschlinks! :welcome:

As for your fear, I can't help but think that while it expresses itself in the form of zombies, there may be an underlying fear that you have to deal with.

For a long time, I was afraid of witches - the kind of witches you see in films, even though I knew they didn't exist...But I know the source of it now and my fear had nothing to do with those characters per se, but rather an association I had made between them and someone who was in my life when I was a child.

Are you seeing a therapist?

GemmaR

Hi Jazzey,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I see what you're saying, that does make sense. I'm not entirely sure what it would be linked to, I think I'd need to have a very good think back to see what was around me at the time that could have started this fear.

I'm not seeing a therapist, I was a couple of years ago for unrelated issues (perhaps they were related?) but I never thought to mention it, I always thought that due to my love of horror films (I know, bad combination of horror films and over active imagination!) it was probably just my mind processing what I had seen.

I'm becomming a lot more sensitive just recently to any mention of zombies, I watched the first 15 minutes or so of Shaun of The Dead the other night (I don't know if you've seen it but it's very funny) where there was only the suggestion that something strange was going on and I had the worst nightmare I've had in a long time (until the one last night that made me come on here this morning!).

Do you think it could be a stress thing as well?

Gemma

Jazzey

Account Closed

Do you think it could be a stress thing as well?

I really don't know Gemma. I'm not a doctor. But maybe it's worth seeing a therapist again to get to the root of it. Even if it is stress related. The reality is that it's still bothering you. If I were you, I'd want to know where this fear is coming from so that I could rectify it.

GemmaR

Thanks for your time! I'll have a think into it and possibly go and see someone about it. It's really helpful that you came up with some suggestions about it, I had no idea where or how to start finding out what it was all about!

Thanks again!

Gemma

GemmaR

How interesting! Thank you David, I should maybe have a lavender pillow or something to take the edge off the nightmares!

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
:hithere: GemmaR :welcome: to Psychlinks.

I don't watch any horror films because I get afraid of all the anticipation and creepy characters.

I get nighmares about the movies too.

There is no worries GammaR, no one here will ever think any of your fears are stupid, so please never worry about that :support:

But I agree with Jazzey, I would speak to your therapist about it. They can surely help you work through any possable underlying causes.

I don't know if this is helpful but...

I used to be VERY afraid of aliens (when I was a teenager)...they're still creepy to me but I don't live in fear of them. I think my fear was lined to the fact that I was raised by very overbearing parents and sheltered from the world. I had this huge fear of the unknown...once I got out in the world and slowly realized my fears were not rational...I don't worry about aliens abducting me in my sleep anymore. :2cents:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.