More threads by scaredoutofmymind

I have a great fear of flying, and have never been on a airoplane.
I suffer from severe panic attacks, tight chest, shallow breathing,sweating, racing heartbeat.

I have been to my doctor and explained the situation, and he prescribed me "Diazapam 10mg tablets".
Has anyone any experience on how to take this when wanting to fly.
I was thinking of taking one tablet in the morning about 4 hours before the flight, and another one just before the flight. I am aware that I can only take 3 a day.
Would this be of any help, or has anyone got any diferent suggestions.
I would be most gratefull for any help or advise please
Thanks
John

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That sounds reasonable to me. You can experiment a bit with the timing of the doses -- the medication will stay in your system for several hours after you take it...

Thanks for that. How long after the first tablet can I safely take the second one.
I appreciate that I cannot take two tablets at the same time.

Thanks
John

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Were you given the tablet, the capsule (long-acting extended release form), or the liquid? The information below assumes normal tablets.

Diazepam
Oral diazepam is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Peak blood levels are reached within 1-2 hours after administration. The acute half-life is 6-8 hours with a slower decline thereafter, possibly due to tissue storage.

For symptomatic relief of anxiety and tension in psychoneurosis and anxiety reactions: 2 to 10 mg, 2 to 4 times daily depending upon severity of symptoms.
So I'd suggest you check with your doctor or pharmacist but I would guess that you should probably not repeat the dose before 3-4 hours minimum.

Diazepam
Diazepam is a member of the benzodiazepine family. Benzodiazepines are sedatives that cause dose-related depression of the central nervous system. They are useful in treating anxiety, insomnia, seizures, and muscle spasms.

PREPARATIONS: Tablets (2mg, 5mg, 10mg).
PRESCRIBED FOR: Diazepam is used for the short-term relief of symptoms related to anxiety disorders. Diazepam is also used for the treatment of agitation, tremors, delirium, seizures, and hallucinations as a result of alcohol withdrawal. Diazepam is also used for relief of muscle spasms in certain neurological diseases. Diazepam is used to abort active seizures and can be combined with other drugs in treating severe recurrent seizures.
DOSING: Diazepam may be taken with or without food. Diazepam is metabolized by the liver and excreted mainly by the kidney. Dosages of diazepam may need to be lowered in patients with abnormal kidney function.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: Alcohol should be avoided by patients taking benzodiazepines. Diazepam can lead to addiction (dependency), especially at higher dosages over prolonged periods of time. Because of diazepam's addicting potential, dosages should never be increased by the patient. In patients addicted to diazepam, abrupt discontinuation of the medicine can lead to symptoms of withdrawal (insomnia, headaches, nausea, vomiting, lightheadedness, sweating, anxiety, and fatigue). Seizures can occur in more severe cases of withdrawal. Consequently, patients on diazepam for extended periods of time should slowly taper the medication under a doctor's supervision rather than abruptly stopping the medication. Tagamet can prolong the effects of diazepam and dosages may need to be decreased when these drugs are used together.
Diazepam

Diazepam is used to relieve anxiety, muscle spasms, and seizures and to control agitation caused by alcohol withdrawal... Diazepam is also used to treat irritable bowel syndrome and panic attacks.

It usually is taken one to four times a day and may be taken with or without food. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take diazepam exactly as directed.

Diazepam concentrate (liquid) comes with a specially marked dropper for measuring the dose. Ask your pharmacist to show you how to use the dropper. Dilute the concentrate in water, juice, or carbonated beverages just before taking it. It also may be mixed with applesauce or pudding just before taking the dose.

Diazepam can be habit-forming. Do not take a larger dose, take it more often, or for a longer time than your doctor tells you to. Tolerance may develop with long-term or excessive use, making the drug less effective. This medication must be taken regularly to be effective. Do not skip doses even if you feel that you do not need them. Do not take diazepam for more than 4 months or stop taking this medication without talking to your doctor. Stopping the drug suddenly can worsen your condition and cause withdrawal symptoms (anxiousness, sleeplessness, and irritability). Your doctor probably will decrease your dose gradually.

Before taking diazepam,
  • tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to diazepam, alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium, Librax), clonazepam (Klonopin), clorazepate (Tranxene), estazolam (ProSom), flurazepam (Dalmane), lorazepam (Ativan), oxazepam (Serax), prazepam (Centrax), temazepam (Restoril), triazolam (Halcion), or any other drugs.
  • tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially antihistamines; cimetadine (Tagamet); digoxin (Lanoxin); disulfiram (Antabuse); fluoxetine (Prozac); isoniazide (INH, Laniazid, Nydrazid); ketoconazole (Nizoral); levodopa (Larodopa, Sinemet); medications for depression, seizures, pain, Parkinson's disease, asthma, colds, or allergies; metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL); muscle relaxants; oral contraceptives; probenecid (Benemid); propoxyphene (Darvon); propranolol (Inderal); ranitidine (Zantac); rifampin (Rifadin); sedatives; sleeping pills; theophylline (Theo-Dur); tranquilizers; valproic acid (Depakene); and vitamins. These medications may add to the drowsiness caused by diazepam.
  • if you use antacids, take diazepam first, then wait 1 hour before taking the antacid.
  • tell your doctor if you have or have ever had glaucoma; seizures; or lung, heart, or liver disease.
  • tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking diazepam, call your doctor immediately.
  • if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking diazepam.
  • you should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
  • remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
  • tell your doctor if you use tobacco products. Cigarette smoking may decrease the effectiveness of this drug. [/list:u] Side effects from diazepam are common and include:
    • drowsiness
    • dizziness
    • tiredness
    • weakness
    • dry mouth
    • diarrhea
    • upset stomach
    • changes in appetite [/list:u] Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
      • restlessness or excitement
      • constipation
      • difficulty urinating
      • frequent urination
      • blurred vision
      • changes in sex drive or ability [/list:u] If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
        • seizures
        • shuffling walk
        • persistent, fine tremor or inability to sit still
        • fever
        • difficulty breathing or swallowing
        • severe skin rash
        • yellowing of the skin or eyes
        • irregular heartbeat [/list:u]

ThatLady

What I would suggest is to begin taking the medication, as directed, for a day or two before you're to fly. Then, follow your plan on the day of the flight, leaving at least four hours between your first and second doses.

Like pain, a build-up of anxiety is more difficult to treat. If you begin taking the medication a day or two ahead of time, this won't be such a problem. :eek:)

ThatLady

Hopefully, this experience will bring an end to your fear of flying or, at least, help you to do so until you can get over your fear. :eek:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.