More threads by suicoted

suicoted

Why do people enjoy other people's company? I use to have a guy who follows me around all the time. I'm an independent person, and I found it annoying at times. It almost seems to me he's desperate to follow me around... or could want a friend, who knows. He talks and talks, but online, he barely says anything (maybe one instant msg every 10 min, with one or two words).

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Do you mean he follows you around talking and talking in real life but becomes reticent onlne? Could be (1) he's multitasking between a lot of online conversations or games, or (2) techno-shy and/or just feels uncomfortable typing instead of talking (some people are the other way 'round).

suicoted

He did in summer school, follows me around during break and talks. Sometimes, I don't understand people behaviour. What's 'techno-shy'? I don't think he's the type that msg ppl all the time. He always msgs ppl with a purpose (i.e. ask to hang out, ask help for hw) as he told me.
Isn't typing talking in a way? Btw, I like this website and it's rapid service, David.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
"techno-shy" is a word I just made up... meaning people who aren't that comfotable with technology like computers, instant messaging, text messaging, even telephones.

Typing is indeed "talking in a way" but a different mode that some people dislike. One of my sisters doesn't even like email.

suicoted

omg, my friend doesn't even check his email. I have to tell him to check it if I send something. I've always wondered why ppl are so eccentric on the internet... the psychology of the internet as I read from your forum. Oh good, I'm glad you define that word, b/c I tried looking it up. Techno means techno, and shy means shy, together, it didn't make sense :p. It makes me wonder why ppl have msn but don't talk... oh well. I would talk to ppl about this, except no one else I know understands psychology. I even analyze ppl for fun, as in read 'the enneagram' and classify ppl according to their mbi type. No one understands how I think completely. I wish I could find a bunch of psychology friends/geeks... hopefully I will in college in Sept.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Don't worry about it, suicoted. It happens to all of us.

We are apparently being moved to a new improved server sometime this weekend... that may make the pages load a bit faster for those of us on slow connections.

suicoted

Oh wow, yeah, I know what you mean, dial-up is slow. Btw, do you think I'm suffering from obsessive compulsive behaviour if I spend hours surfing the web about psychology, reading about it? I analyze ppl, or break them up into chunks and 'learn' or dissect about them. Myself, I am an ESFJ. I use to be an INFJ. Teens these days still need to take time to learn more about who they are - it's quite enlightening. What about you, sir?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't remember what I am... the Myers-Briggs-type categories or typologies don't have a lot of serious validity. They're fun though. I even have a little program you can run from your computer...

ThatLady

In a way, IMs are like the telephone or the doorbell. They break into your consciousness without warning and without invitation. That may be another reason why many dislike them. On a message board, one does not feel pressed to answer immediately. An IM, however, demands your attention in a way that can be seen as intrusive.

That comes from this old XNFP (right on the borderline between introvert and extrovert). ;-)

suicoted

ThatLady said:
In a way, IMs are like the telephone or the doorbell. They break into your consciousness without warning and without invitation. That may be another reason why many dislike them. On a message board, one does not feel pressed to answer immediately. An IM, however, demands your attention in a way that can be seen as intrusive.

That comes from this old XNFP (right on the borderline between introvert and extrovert). ;-)

XNFP, interesting. I'm an extrovert, b/c I love to talk, but I do need some time alone, and I'm quite independent. So am I an XNFP too? Yeah, IM can be seen as intrusive, but I don't mind it. I mean, if someone hates IMs so much, they might as well not use it. Some ppl have it, and yet don't want intrusion or don't talk that much, esp some of my friends.

suicoted

Another question, how do I stop receiving emails about this topic? I know there's a feature to disable it, but I can't find it.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
At the bottom of any thread, you will see (under "New Topic" and "Page 1 of 1") a link that says "Stop watching this topic". Click on it.

If you wish to stop ALL email notifications, you can change this in your "Profile": click on the "Profile" link at the top of any page.

You'll also find instructions to do this in every email notification you receive :eek:)

suicoted

I don't get the X concept, David. The fourth letter of Myers Briggs should either be a J or a P. Where did the ambiguity come from and how come most websites never have an 'X' as a letter? I mean, there are 16 personality types, but there's never a dosage of information about INFX, or EXTP. Thanks for answering my questions earlier, btw. I hope I'm not boring you all with my 'nonsense' or should I say curiosity.

suicoted

I did the test, I got ESFJ. I have no green colour in the bar called 'thinking'. I mean, I don't think the bar can be completely filled 100% b/c no one is a total extrovert or introvert, same goes for the other factors (sensing, judging, etc). It's a neat program though :).

ThatLady

suicoted said:
I don't get the X concept, David. The fourth letter of Myers Briggs should either be a J or a P. Where did the ambiguity come from and how come most websites never have an 'X' as a letter? I mean, there are 16 personality types, but there's never a dosage of information about INFX, or EXTP. Thanks for answering my questions earlier, btw. I hope I'm not boring you all with my 'nonsense' or should I say curiosity.

The "X" is, indeed, a simple placeholder. When I took the test (quite some time ago), the results in that category were exactly in the middle. I'm neither introverted nor extroverted. I'm just sorta in the middle. ;-)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.