More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
5 simple tips for getting rid of the unnecessary
by Henri Junttila, Positively Present
March 15, 2010

Simplifying your life is easier said than done. It?s almost as if we?re constantly conflicted about which way to go. On one hand we have our need to consume, to look good and to fulfill a desire to buy and hoard. On the other hand, we have our spiritual side, which enjoys the simplicity. It knows that you do not need all this stuff to be happy. I think as we go through life and learn, we start drifting more towards the spiritual side. The longer you live, the more you realize that you do not need all these things in your life. They will never make you happy, because happiness is not external, it?s internal.

I?ve decided to write this article from a slightly different perspective. There are a lot of good articles out there that tell you what you can do to declutter your life, which is why I want to focus on what?s going on in your mind instead. I recently moved from Sweden to Spain, and I?ve noticed a lot of upheaval in my own mind. I?ve simplified and I?ve come to grips with living with less. It can be tough in the beginning, but ultimately it?s extremely freeing.

1. Acknowledge the Need to Look Good
Even though I live in Europe, I stay in touch with a lot of people from both the U.S and Canada. What I?ve heard is that the culture over there is much more geared towards looking good and getting acknowledged for having the latest clothes, gadgets and cars, especially in the U.S.

The same applies in Europe. Some say it isn?t as serious here, but I?d say that it isn?t too far off. Everyone wants to look good. I think it?s an instinctual need that comes from deep within. I have no clue if this has been proven scientifically but that?s what it feels like. We have the need to look good. If you see someone good looking of the opposite sex pass you by, you instinctively do mental checks on how you look. Is your hair right? Do your clothes look good?

2. Think About the True Cost
When you think about buying something, the price you pay is not the true cost. If you already have a laptop that works, should you really buy another one? Sure, it may be old and not as good looking, but does it get the work done? This is the process I go through whenever I buy something new. Buying a car is the perfect example, because not only are you paying for the car, but you also have to pay for future fuel, repair and maintenance.

You also pay mentally, because you will be worried about your new car getting scratched. What if someone steals it? What if it breaks down in a weird place? There are a lot of mental burdens that you have to deal with when you add a new possession to your life.

3. Less Stuff, More Time
Have you been thinking about how you can work less and have more time to do the things you really want to do? I realize that this isn?t as easy as I?m putting out to be, but I also think that if you truly want something, you?ll find a way to make it true. By having fewer things, you will be able to spend less time at work, theoretically. Here are a few things you can eliminate from your life, or just change for something cheaper:

• Kill any subscriptions you absolutely do not need
  • Get rid of your cable TV
  • Sell your car or trade it for a cheaper and older one
  • Move into a smaller apartment
  • Stop buying so many damn clothes
There are just a few examples of what you can do. I buy new clothes a few times a year. I have a few excellent clothes that I wear frequently and that?s enough for me. I don?t have any subscriptions, no TV, no car and no bike. I am able to eliminate transportation because I work from home and live next door to a supermarket, plus I live very close to the buss and railway station. It?s all about being strategic so you can eliminate as many burdens as possible.

Now, I want to say this again, because I know there will be people objecting to this. I?m lucky because I can work from home and most people can?t do that. Well it took me about 2-3 years to finally start getting anywhere with that, so I?m definitely not lucky. I?ve just decided to work hard. The point I want to get across here is that you can eliminate a lot of things from your life to free up your time and money. Start small. You don?t have to sell your house right away. Be nice to yourself and enjoy the process!

4. Beware of Marketing
Marketing is like a knife. It can be used for both good and evil. When you start learning more about marketing, you start becoming aware of all the tactics that are being used against you. It is all set-up for us to consume as much as possible. I have no problem with marketers. They do what they have to do. Ultimately it is up to you to be responsible for your own actions. You have to know what is going on out there.

If businesses want to stay profitable, they have to keep selling. Most businesses are now failing because they aren?t customer-oriented. They want to make as much money as possible, which isn?t working, as you may have noticed. The businesses that thrive now are those that take care of their customers, have a good message, have good products and use good, ethical marketing. So you see, it?s not bad at all, but beware that a lot of commercials and ads out there are trying to push your buttons to get you to buy, buy, buy.

5. Your Need to Consume
Somewhere deep down I think we have a need to consume and to hoard. I feel it as I walk past restaurants, stores and other small shops. It feels good to buy things, but is this effect created by our society such as advertising and social pressure, or is it something that lies deep within us? Or maybe both? Do we need to consume, like we needed to hoard food a few thousand years ago? I don?t know, but what I do know is that I have the desire to consume. I have discovered that by channeling my desire into other things, I can, for example, buy food and feel good.

Instead of buying the latest gadget, I can go to the store and buy some popcorn, rice and tomato sauce. I know that?s too simple for many, but there are times when I enjoy simplifying every aspect of my life. It feels good. It?s liberating. It makes you realize that you don?t need all this stuff that we are brought up to believe that we need. You can simplify your life. It feels good and allows you more freedom in your life. So what are you waiting for?

Henri Junttila is a lifestyle superhero and the father of the Wake Up Cloud, a blog about self improvement for conscious people.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From "There's Downsizing, and De-cluttering--Why Not Just Get Rid of Everything?"
Sometimes my toddler son reminds me of my stepdad. He was emotional when he saw all of his things being carried out to the moving truck. "What's happening?" he kept asking.

But as soon as the truck was out of sight, Max had an idea: He'd ride his tricycle around inside the house! Suddenly there was nothing he could run into. "I'm a funny boy," he bragged as he peddled through the living room.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.