More threads by Steven_v

Steven_v

saw my doctors today, um had a really long indepth talk and one of the things they said that because i sometimes have the intrusive thoughts around my nieces that they have to tell my mother and my sister. iam fine with this but is it because they think i may do something, cause i would never ever do anything to hert any kid espicially not my nieces

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It doesn't necessarily mean that, Steven. There are mandatory reporting laws regarding the protection of children and it may be that the doctor(s) are simply being careful to comply with those laws.

Why don't/didn't you ask your doctors?

Steven_v

its just been building up in my head all day, its just i would hate it if it was because they thought i would do something. if they think that then i dont feel they know me very well

Steven_v

so one of the hospital team (the one who said she has to tell my mum and sister) called today and talked to my mum. i dont know if she talked to her about it though cause my mother isnt acting any different. and if not iam gona have to wait a week to see anyone from the team. so i dont know what to do

Steven_v

i asked my mother what the woman from the team wanted to talk about, and she didnt say anything about telling them. so now iam going mad woundering why she didnt say anything, and iam gona go mad waiting for them to say something

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Instead of "going mad" wondring, Steven, why not just ask her?

Are you seeing a therapist for any form of cognitive behavior therapy, Steven? I think that might be helpful in reducing your obsessive worrying.

Steven_v

i did indirectly ask my mom, and was obvious from what she said that the lady didnt tell her anything. i would ask one of the people on the team, but i dont see anyone untill next week

Steven_v

iam scared to i mean what do i say "oh by the way my doctors want to speak to cause sometimes i have these intrusive thoughts around my neices"

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That's the dilemma for you, though, isn't it? You want to know the answer but you are afraid to ask the question, so instead you ask something indirectly and worry even more about what the answer meant.

Why not just ask her what the doctors said in the phone call?

Steven_v

i understand that because of the types of intrusive thoughts I am having there are things they legally have to do, but why manly when i see my main psychiatrist do they ask or bring up my nieces. i would never do anything to harm nieces if anybody even looked at them funny i would probably kill the person and quite willingly go to prison for it. so why do they keep bringing it up it makes me feel as if they think I am a pedophile and that I am a danger to them. why do they always bring it up?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
They always bring it up because you do - because it's an issue that keeps coming up for you. You repeatedly express worries about your thoughts and your potential for sexual acting out. Whether or not they believe you present a significant risk of actually acting out in that fashion, by law they are required to take the possibility seriously and to take all steps available to them to protect your nieces. They really have no choice.

Steven_v

i understand but its just that it feels like iam bieng treated as a peadophile, and i alredy have enough of my messed up head trying tell me things like that

maybe i should say something about it at my next apointment

sorry ive calmed down now i can see why they would have to of course i can, its just it adds fuel to the fire of those intrusive thoughts sometimes, things like that back up the intrusive thoughts

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.