More threads by Steven_v

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Steven, I don't know if you have ever been diagnosed with OCD or whether you meet the full criteria, but you certainly show strong OCD-like characteristics. These thoughts are obsessional. They represent something you are worried about. They are not predictive and do not have any special hidden message or validity. They are simply a manifestation of the way you worry.

ThatLady

Steven, are you in still therapy, or are you seeing a therapist or a doctor regularly? I know you have a crisis team, but do you get regular care and someone to talk to?

ThatLady

Kind of? I'm not sure I understand what that means, steven. Do you see a therapist regularly? How often? Have you talked to the therapist about these thoughts? What has the therapist told you?

Cavi

Steven...I have done things in my past that even shocked my T when I told her...But what I did then, is not who I am now...It's clear that you feel awful about this incident, don't beat yourself up (I know easier said than done)...
There is a dark side to all of us...Hang in there....RIMH

Halo

RIMH,

I have to say that I have had the opposite reaction with my psych's. Not much of what I have told them has ever shocked them (and I have told them some serious stuff) but they do understand that what I may have done in the past was done at that time for specific reasons and is definitely not who I am today. The difference between then and now is that then I didn't have the resources, support and more importantly coping skills that I do today which makes a huge difference.

As to whether there is a dark side to all of us, I am not sure, but I do know that we each and every one of us has done things that we are not proud of and need to forgive ourselves for those things.

Halo

RIMH, I hope that you don't think that you shouldn't have said anything in response to my post. I was only trying to show the other side of the coin in that some people's experiences with their therapists/psych's can be different. We are all able to voice our opinions and experiences here and it was great that you offered your support to Steven in his time of need.

Halo

If you don't mind me asking (although you don't have to feel obligated to answer) but what kind of strategies have they suggested that you use to cope with when these obssessive thoughts happen?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.