More threads by rank

rank

Hi. Any recommendations on good books on neuroscience that give a layman simple techniques to apply?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hi, @rank.

That's a pretty broad area. Is there a specific area (or areas) of neuroscience that interests you? Or specific questions you are researching?

Or are you looking more for a general introduction? If so, these might be some options for you:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
In that case, I would recommend one of these:

You can find out a lot more about cognitive behavior therapy and its self-help methods at:

Cognitive Behavior Therapy :: CBT

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I haven’t read that book but based on the description I would not recommend it.

I would strongly advise you to stick to evidence-based treatments, not gimmicky wishful thinking approaches.

The books I suggested above are based on science and numerous research studies confirming their effectiveness.

The book in your link does not appear to be based on anything except scientifically flawed personal opinion, hypothesis, and, frankly, quackery. The author does not disclose exactly what her training is or in what field, but it does not appear to be in psychology or medicine. She indicates that she is a "Professor Emerita of International Management" at California State University, East Lake, and that she studied at "Cornell and Tufts", but again she does not say what she studied.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Usually the books my therapists have recommended are classics like the ones Dr. Baxter mentioned, or very specific to my diagnosis of OCD, or a book on mindfulness like anything by Pema Chodron.

To put it another way, when the going gets tough, I am not likely to think of anthropology or evolutionary psychology but more likely something more humanistic like David Burns, Albert Ellis, Carl Rogers, or Thich Nhat Hanh.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.