More threads by Andy

Andy

MVP
This morning I went out to get some things done and when I came home there was a maintenance guys van in my parking spot but they were working on some other apartment building. This happens to me all the time becaue my spot is right where the netrance to the private parking lot is, so people see the first empty lot and take it.

This drives me bonkers! I then have to either steal another tenants spot or park on the street and hope I don't get fined, or I could call and have them towed and if they happen to leave before the tow gets there, then get charged a fee, or if they do get towed I risk having my car damaged because they know exactly who got them towed! I wrote a nice note one time saying in the future could you please park on the street. When i came out I had a banana peel on my hood (lol that could just have been anyone but I don't think it was, there are worse things than bananas). Usually I just steal someone else's spot that I know isn't usually home until late (but who am I to say they don't come home early anf then i have put them in the same position). Then I huff off and go to my apartment. I could have a good day and come home to this and it ruins my day completely.
When i come home it is almost always a given that I am not going out again, so when someone steals my spot this makes me have to leave my apartment and go to the stairwell to look and see if they have moved every half hour because it's out back, I have to stay in the clothes I am in, instead of putting on PJ's, I have to keep my contacts in because I will not leave the house in my glasses, I can't shower, etc. It basically dictates the rest of my day/evening until they leave.

Today, I came home and parked my car Straight across the back of his bumper. My spot has a high cement barrier in front, so he would have to smash my car door to get anywhere. lol I was going to go into my apartment and just hang out for awhile but then I thought they would have me towed. I went to the other apartment and saw another guy with this guys crew and asked him to move his van, then that guy gave me attitude saying he wasn't parked in my spot. I said "well someone from this company is so if you want to explain to your boss why your one van short then just leave it." lol I think this being exhausted has given me a bit of attitude usually I would be like "Umm excuse me, excuse me Umm , could you pleas move your van please when you get a chance please?". As I was leaving he goes "Ohhh in the other building lot? Oh well he just went over there" I guess I went around front as he was going around back.

I walked around the corner and it was so funny. This guy inching forward, then back, then forward... I laughed, but I thought he was going to get mad and just hit my car which isn't anything special but it's special to me. lol Plus with all the snow it would have been easy to do.
I walked up and he saw me and I said "Oh, I'm sorry would you like me to move my car?" he goes "Yes please...(then he made the connection) oh sorry about that dude". Ok he didn't say the dude part but that's how he talked, like stoner,surfer(stereotype)

I said "I pay, for this parking like everyone else in this lot, oh except for your buddy of course who is parked in someone else's lot right there..." The guy actually played dumb. "What where?" "You know the one that kind of looks Identical to the van your driving." The guy started to ignore me lol. I kept going. lol "This is private parking" he still just ignored me. I'm thinking ok asshole you don't ignore a chick who trying to get it through your head, just makes me angry. So I dropped the name "Ok well I'll let Sven *****" know you have been so polite with me about this". Zing "Yeah, I know I am really sorry about this I actually have had a pretty rough day and wans't paying attention..."
I actually worked with either his foreman or boss, the guy is really high up for their company anyway because the housing company I am in, they use the same business for there maintenance, and I worked on a high rise for my housing company. lol I don't even really know the guy lol I just know his name from having to call him in for jobs. lol Little BSing to get my point across. He left, I parked, I was almost crying for being such a cow and then and now I am still feeling guilty about it.
Guilt because this guy got the brunt of every person who has ever parked there or because I got angry about it at all and I wasn't really angry just snotty I guess.
The thing is, am i suppose to keep getting pushed out of my parking lot, Oh no problem do you need anything else, can I check your oil , maybe go get you some dinner to? If I'm not accommodating, polite and nice and even if I say something nicely I feel guilty.
Just like this mile long post that I thought would be short.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
BTW:

Assertiveness: PsychLinks.ca
http://forum.psychlinks.ca/relationships/14546-psychological-self-defense.html

even if I say something nicely I feel guilty.
Well, those books on assertiveness like When I Say No, I Feel Guilty may still help. A related issue would be self-esteem.

Incidentally, there's a linguist, Steven Pinker, who notes in one of his talks that people will use language like "If you could open the window, that would be great" as a way to be assertive without wanting to seem assertive.

Andy

MVP
Incidentally, there's a linguist, Steven Pinker, who notes in one of his talks that people will use language like "If you could open the window, that would be great" as a way to be assertive without wanting to seem assertive.

Isn't that kind of passive-agressive? Kinda? I guess depending on the tone of how you said it. :teehee:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.