More threads by Banned

Banned

Banned
Does anybody have any experience with Hakomi and body work in therapy?

It seems almost all the therapists in my area are really into this. In fact, it's hard to find someone who doesn't use Hakomi, EMDR, EFT, etc...

What happened to good old talk therapy? How does one figure out the weird stuff from the good stuff? Of course the therapists who use these treatment modalities firmly believe in them, but I just see it as as hokey or suspect at best...

Yuray

Seems like another flavour of the month for new age subscribers. the authors bio has been deleted from wikipedia, and the Hakomi article is scheduled for deletion pending more investigation. excerpt "Non-notable therapist who seems to have invented a form of therapy which only he and his supporters have written about. Note that Hakomi is also nominated for deletion. Corvus cornix 23:29, 2 October 2007 (UTC)".....it all has the ring of motivational speaking.

numerous google searches have show me that hakomi is a nice part time interest for those looking for improvement and perhaps peace in some disruptive minor life difficulties rather than a therapeutic approach to dealing with mental illness. when i see people like the founder of hakomi, i tighten my wallet becuase promises and references to lifes ills that have roots in eastern religions are a proven wieght loss programme for ungaurded wallets.

Hakomi Canada these people are not the people I want workng in my head. these people are good for expanding horizons and goals, but for treatment on mental illness, nope.

is such genres as this, accreditation is self deployed. no academics of note in the vangaurd of such movements.

I joined a book group once and the book was A New Earth by Ekhart Tolle. Never in my life have I seen so many in need of so much and getting so little.

Of course the therapists who use these treatment modalities firmly believe in them,
....just as the Flat Earth Society beleives in their interest.:D

heres another interesting site for enlightenment http://quackwatch.com/

Banned

Banned
It also seems like the therapists who use these approaches don't know how to work without them...or don't want to. Some of them believe that they are the answer for everyone, so if they can't use them with you, they don't want to work with you. I'm having a hard time finding a therapist who sticks with "tried, tested, and true"...the one I've had one session with is really into the stuff I mentioned above, so I don't know how long we'll last together...it's just frustrating...

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I'm having a hard time finding a therapist who sticks with "tried, tested, and true".

There's always outpatient hospital clinics. Similarly, therapists and especially psychologists that are part of a clinical practice group (or a community clinic) that includes psychiatry are more likely to be traditional than new age.

Certainly, most clinical psychologists are of the tried-and-true variety.

Yuray

"therapist' is a very generic term these days. It no longer just applies to someone who has spent years obtaining a degree. Diploma mills, and less than adequatley prepared community colleges pump out 'therapists' by the dozens each year. Not all therapists are to be looked on this way, but the standards, and quality, of true therapy are being diluted by sheer volume.

so I don't know how long we'll last together...it's just frustrating...
I know some of your posts are related to suicide and your personal views on it. Save your money with this new therapist. You shouldn't be an experiment case in something you have doubts about.

Someone with a masters or doctrate in psychology may be what would be the best thing to look for. The higher up on the academic scale, the more critical thinking and sound reason you will find, and the less of this Hakomi nonsense you will encounter.

Banned

Banned
This person does have a Master's degree...so did a previous one who was really into Hakomi, Theraplay, re-parenting, primal scream, and the like. Before that I had a guy with a PhD with absolutely no counselling skills whatsoever. He was my first experience in counselling and although he did plain old talk therapy, we were definitely not a good fit.

I keep thinking it shouldn't be this difficult and frustrating, and I know demographics can play a role in things. In this city, there is ALOT of money, and only a Masters degree requirement, but because of the amount of people that are seeking the ultimate dream and throwing money around, they're willing to pay for anything, and anything goes...including weird stuff.

The more I look, the more frustrated I get, and the more I'm convinced that reading a few books might be more beneficial and significantly cheaper.

Banned

Banned
The more I think about this, the more I think that the reasonable thing to do is pull the plug for now. I'm not going for me, and I'm not going for the right reasons, so it's just throwing money away for nothing at this point.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The more I look, the more frustrated I get, and the more I'm convinced that reading a few books might be more beneficial and significantly cheaper.
Personally, I find videos more helpful than books, but I am huge fan of books, too. Namely, for DBT self-help, I got all of the videos by Marsha Linehan, including the ones for therapists since there aren't any DBT therapists in my rural area. (There is a relatively new book on DBT for bipolar disorder, but I know that DBT isn't for everyone.)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.