More threads by Darkside

Here's part of my story.

I'm a 58 year old man and I have been married twice and have 3 children. One is grown and 2 are still at home with my first wife. I am the youngest of 3 children. My older brother committed suicide in 1997, my father went insane and died from a concussion in a dementia facility in 2005. I have been living with my 92 year old mother because I lost my job and also because she has been ill. I have been working for the past year and I've bought a house and I am getting ready to move in a week.

My mother has been diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type but she refuses to accept her diagnosis and refuses to move to assisted living. Once I move she will be by herself without much help at home. She has a lady that comes in only 3 days a week. I will still have to pay her bills, do her shopping, buy groceries, make sure she takes her medicines, refill her prescriptions and taker her to doctor's appointments. As the only "reliable" child the burden of this has fallen on me whether I want it or not and I am having trouble dealing with it. I constantly feel guilt, shame, anger and fear, and I woke up this morning feeling like I was in the middle of a pot of boiling stew.

Everyone in my family has had difficulty with emotions - both feeling them and expressing them. I grew up believing that any kind of emotional expression whether it was joy, grief, anger or fear, was inappropriate. I think I have learned that the only appropriate expression of emotion is shame or guilt. I understand that emotions we do not feel usually show up in relationship conflicts - that is, "what we reject we project." I've made it my life's goal to own my feelings and learn about my defense mechanisms are so that I can let them down. Most of the time I feel distant from other people - especially women, and I have a great deal of difficulty trusting anyone.

During my life I have had several, "aha" experiences - like epiphanies. Actually, more than several when I think about it. I had always seen myself as a nice guy who was kind and considerate of other people, somewhat quiet and introspective and of moderately high intelligence. Back in 2007, and several times since then, I have seen another side of myself that I didn't really know was there - a side that I had previously refused to accept. That is why my "handle" on this forum is "Darkside." This other part of myself is angry, vindictive, mean, cruel and blames everyone else for what goes wrong. There is actually a "monster" in my heart and it is me.

Here's a recent example. About a month ago I was playing golf with some friends. The days leading up to it were difficult and stressful and on the last hole I lost it, and I threw a golf club and broke it. As a result of that outburst I felt intense guilt - like burning sensation in my chest - for several days. I apologized to my golf buddies but I found myself going through all sorts of mental gymnastics to deny or blame what happened on something else. Suddenly, the thought came to me that the person who threw that golf club wasn't someone else - it was me! That night I slept more peacefully than I had in a long time - months.

What I want to understand is why is it that when someone else has a crisis (like my mother's angst over moving to assisted living) I immediately shut down my own "feeling" and find myself sorting through the other person's feelings? I know that one reason is so I don't have to look at the darkness in my own heart - at emotions and desires I find unacceptable and "unlikeable" - but the other reason is because that is what I was taught to do by parents and siblings who were emotionally needy and unstable. Usually, it is times like this that the "monster" emerges and I become cruel and say and do things I regret later.

I wonder sometimes if I am trying to be too "perfect."

Maybe it is all me after all.

Re: Hello everyone.

I know being a carer is so very stressful and it takes it toll hun Is there no other professional care that can come in and give your mother her meds and take care of her. I too have had to set up care and they come in every day to wash my mother and make sure her meds are taken I think you are just trying to be the perfect son but at what expense hun. i have learned the hard way you cannot be there for everyone you just can't The people that come in 3 times a week they will watch and perhaps talk to your mother about the benefits of going into a retirement apartment one that she can have some independance but also have nrsg care available if needed I do hope hun you set up boundaries so you are not taken under by all the stress It is a very hard lesson to learn don't be taken under ok you make sure you look after YOU hugs

Retired

Welcome to Psychlinks, Darkside. Thanks for joining us. Hopefully you might find some support and guidance with your situation.

It sounds like there are a number of stressful situations in your life at this time. As has been mentioned it is virtually impossible for one person to be a full time caregiver, especially when a family member has been diagnosed with Alzheimers or advancing dementia.

Is there an Alzheimer's support organization in your area to help you figure out ways to provide the necessary services for your Mother, thereby allowing you to deal with your own obligations toward your job and the setting up of your new house?

Have you discussed your Mother's situation with her doctor and perhaps a social worker who might be available to also assess your Mother's needs and ability to make sound decisions for herself, with her diagnosis?

mother has been diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type but she refuses to accept her diagnosis and refuses to move to assisted living

As difficult as it may seem, you may have to take control of the situation and make the necessary arrangements for Mother, if her situation alone is unsafe, or unfeasible given her apparent impaired function.

Ultimately you need to take the necessary steps to find ways to deal with the stressors in your life. This might include working with your doctor who might recommend a treatment to control your anxiety as well as prioritizing the tasks at hand so that you delegate what you can (which might include your Mother's care and accommodation), and deal with each of the remaining obligations on a priority basis.

Does your Mother have a living will or mandate outlining her desires under extreme medical circumstances, that can guide you in providing for her needs and wishes? Do you have power of attorney or mandate for her medical care and/or her financial affairs?

Re: Hello everyone.

I know being a carer is so very stressful and it takes it toll hun Is there no other professional care that can come in and give your mother her meds and take care of her. I too have had to set up care and they come in every day to wash my mother and make sure her meds are taken I think you are just trying to be the perfect son but at what expense hun. i have learned the hard way you cannot be there for everyone you just can't The people that come in 3 times a week they will watch and perhaps talk to your mother about the benefits of going into a retirement apartment one that she can have some independance but also have nrsg care available if needed I do hope hun you set up boundaries so you are not taken under by all the stress It is a very hard lesson to learn don't be taken under ok you make sure you look after YOU hugs

I know I can't do everything, but she won't accept help from sitters and expects me to do it. She has no empathy for what a burden it is on me. When I mention that she claims that she can take care of herself. When I point out the things she can't do she says I am being too critical of her.

This is completely unfair to me and twice now I have started to write this and explain all about my mother's fears and motives. That is what I meant in the OP; she somehow successfully makes everything about her and I refuse to engage in that any more. This IS about me too, and I am getting to the point where I don't care because my sanity is just as important as hers. Frankly, I think she is a selfish, narcissistic old bitch who only cares about appearances and "things" and is scared of dying and meeting her maker.

I've been doing this caregiving thing for a year now and I am sick of it and I am sick of her ungratefulness. I know it is a disease, but she was like this before. She is just more so now. The veil has been torn away.

---------- Post Merged at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Welcome to Psychlinks, Darkside. Thanks for joining us. Hopefully you might find some support and guidance with your situation.

It sounds like there are a number of stressful situations in your life at this time. As has been mentioned it is virtually impossible for one person to be a full time caregiver, especially when a family member has been diagnosed with Alzheimers or advancing dementia.

Yep. There are. I have children who need my time and attention and they don't understand that I have to spend so much time taking care of Neena. They live about 100 miles away, but they won't even come to visit because they don't like her.

Is there an Alzheimer's support organization in your area to help you figure out ways to provide the necessary services for your Mother, thereby allowing you to deal with your own obligations toward your job and the setting up of your new house?

I'm sure there are but I have not been able to find one close by. I work 10-12 hours a day so joining something like that would be difficult. I have a therapist that I have been seeing and he helps me sort through things, but I'm not sure he's the right person for me to talk to anyway. He likes to use TA and I don't want to learn about "interpersonal transactions." I want someone who can help me see myself for who I am because I know that when I can stay focused on my own feelings everything seems to go better and I am much less likely to lose my own patience or say or do something I regret.

Have you discussed your Mother's situation with her doctor and perhaps a social worker who might be available to also assess your Mother's needs and ability to make sound decisions for herself, with her diagnosis?

Yes, her doctors have been great and they have been trying to help her and to help me by strongly suggesting she move. The Geriatric Psychiatrist brought her back from the brink with the right medicines about 6 months ago. But when they told her she should move to AL she turned on both of them. She refuses to go back and told me she was changing doctors. That is probably an idle threat, but it makes things more difficult. I've learned to ignore stuff like that and keep making and keeping the appointments.

As difficult as it may seem, you may have to take control of the situation and make the necessary arrangements for Mother, if her situation alone is unsafe, or unfeasible given her apparent impaired function.

Ultimately you need to take the necessary steps to find ways to deal with the stressors in your life. This might include working with your doctor who might recommend a treatment to control your anxiety as well as prioritizing the tasks at hand so that you delegate what you can (which might include your Mother's care and accommodation), and deal with each of the remaining obligations on a priority basis.

That is true. It may mean I have to take legal action against my mother to force her out of her house. My opinion right now is that I am going to leave her in her house for a few weeks with minimal help from me. I will pay her bills, pay her part time cleaning lady, refill her prescriptions and buy some groceries. That will mean 2 or 3 visits a week. If she needs more than that I will have to pursue a court order for "Adult Protection."

Does your Mother have a living will or mandate outlining her desires under extreme medical circumstances, that can guide you in providing for her needs and wishes? Do you have power of attorney or mandate for her medical care and/or her financial affairs?

Yes. She appointed me with Durable Power of Attorney and under a Health Care Power of Attorney. I have been managing her affairs that way for almost a year.

Your mother needs to be told outright that what she is demanding of you is too much and that whether she likes it or not her daughters will have to also help so the burden is not all on you.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.