More threads by Hermes

Hermes

My name is Hermes, and I have just joined this site. I look forward to exchanging views and topics of interest. I live in Ireland.

Best wishes
H.

Hermes

Thank you Violet.
I am very interested in psychology, and I have always felt a great need to know the "whys", in particular as regards behaviour. In real life I notice that people open out to me, and they tell me I give good sensible support and advice. Some tell me I am the only sane person they know LOL.

It is a huge pity that a majority of people still stigmatise mental illness and the mentally ill. I know it is largely due to ignorance, and I strongly feel that far more coverage is needed in the media on this subject.

Best wishes
H.

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
I was thinking the same thing, Jazzey :)

Welcome to Psychlinks, Hermes. I'm glad you've joined us :2thumbs::hithere:

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hmmm... :coffee:....Whatever is there else to daydream about? (besides sparkly jewelry (which incidentally - Herm?s also does..."just sayin'") :D

Ok, now back to Hermes -as you may have gauged - I love to kid around. But, it doesn't take away from my welcome to you today. :)

Retired

Welcome Hermes!

It is a huge pity that a majority of people still stigmatise mental illness and the mentally ill. I know it is largely due to ignorance

I share your concern, and I've often wondered what is at the root of the stigma surrounding mental illness, and feel the ignorance and fear is perhaps based on the stories and reputation of of the asylums of the pre-1960's years.

Anyone who has ever visited one of these old psychiatric hospitals, would understand how people with any abnormal behaviours used to be warehoused and virtually forgotten in archaic and almost inhuman conditions.

Many of these institutions have been refurbished to reflect modern day therapeutic methods, but often these old buildings still show the signs of their murky heritage.

Movies produced in the thirties and forties often portrayed these institutions as warehouses staffed by stonyhearted doctors and thugs as orderlies restraining patients in straight jackets.

It is my belief these images formed the reputation that is at the root of the mystery and fear of mental illness.

Hermes

Heh heh. Scarves and handbags. Well, no.

Hermes: The messenger of the gods, with the wings on his heels. Patron of travellers, and....had a rather mischiveous streak.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
H.

I am glad to see such buildings in my area actually torn down all together and replace with bright now facilities. So much less frightening more healing atmosphere.

Hermes

Thank you everyone for the very kind welcome. There is so much to look at on this site, it is amazing. Every possible mental health topic is covered, it seems.

:)

Indeed Lana, heh heh. I just love shoes too. Dizzy high heels.....

Hermes

Hermes

It says: tell us something about yourself.

Well, yes, in small doses LOL. As you can see I am a night person, well, I have to be, as our time is well ahead of you good people over there in Canada. Mornings are a really bad trip for me LOL.

I am Irish, Dublin-born, but lived most of my life (still do) in Continental Europe. I do hope everyone will make allowances for cultural differences. I have been fortunate, I think. Had a happy, lucky childhood, and a fairly exciting life.

Hope you all had a good week-end.
Bye for now
Hermes

Hermes

What else.

Like to read (not as much time for that as I would wish). Love music, (a variety): Cuban, opera, and.....Dire Straits.
I see the Simpsons mentioned here a lot. Can't stand them LOL.

I think "romantic" movies, magazines and bodice-ripping books should be banned (LOL). Kidding, a bit.
Enjoy sci-fi, movies with a supernatural theme and comedy.

Love meeting friends, conversation, straightforward people, no tolerance for mind games.

Love the countryside, the peacefulness of getting some work done in my garden.

Hope everyone is having a nice week-end
Hermes

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.