More threads by Steph

Steph

With Tourette Syndrome not being widely known even to Doctors let alone parents, many children are told to stop ticcing.

Being told over and over again to stop doing something that children have no control over has to play a role in their self esteem and could eventually lead to depression in their adult lives.

How do we help children recover their self esteem in order to go on to lead productive lives.? Steph

ThatLady

We all have little "tics"...habitual actions we do without even thinking about them. Some people twirl their hair, others bite their fingernails. I have a habit of rubbing my hands together when I'm trying to think something through.

Perhaps, if we point out to these children the things that others (even grownups!) do, they'll see that their tics aren't all that different than these habitual actions. That would be especially true if the child were to see such an action in a person they really like and admire. At least, so it seems to me.

Retired

With Tourette Syndrome not being widely known even to Doctors let alone parents, many children are told to stop ticcing

Very good point, Steph.? ?This situation was even more prevalent twenty or more years ago when awareness was even less known than it is today thanks to the support organizations worldwide.

But even today, Tourette is often mis diagnosed by family physicians or even pediatricians who have, by all counts, not had enough clinical experience or even training in Tourette or tic disorders.

IMO the reversal of damaged self esteem can come from a supportive family through education and association with other families or people dealing with similar challenges.

Learning from the experience of others, and perhaps most important, gaining the knowledge the person afflicted with Tourette is not alone, can go a long way to regain self esteem.

I believe that when a person has Tourette or perhaps other disorder of affliction that sets them apart from the general population, and if they are ridiculed or otherwise made to stand out in a disparaging way, if they think they are the only one in the world doing these things, and in their mind it's because they are somehow defective, sick, crazy or different in some sinister way,? ?their self esteem will suffer.

Once they know the disorder has a name, the disorder affects almost 3 in 100 people according to some studies and that their tic expressions are involuntary,? if they have a supportive family structure, I believe their self esteem can be repaired.

I would be interested in comments on this and in understanding? the dynamics of loss and regaining of self esteem from others.

Steph

the only one in the world doing these things, and in their mind it's because they are somehow defective, sick, crazy or different in some sinister way

This is the big fear, that they believe they are the only one and that they are defective.?

Just reading that line makes me feel very sad.? Steph

Retired

Steph,

Just reading that line makes me feel very sad

Yes, but I also wrote:

Once they know the disorder has a name, the disorder affects almost 3 in 100 people according to some studies and that their tic expressions are involuntary,? if they have a supportive family structure, I believe their self esteem can be repaired

I feel this line should neutralize the sadness you experienced when relating to the sense of isolation an uninformed person might feel.

But I can say, from first hand personal experience, that understanding the disorder, and knowing the disorder affects a significant part of the general population and that its manifestations are involuntary...combined with love and support from family, friends and health professionals, and Tourette support can do wonders for self esteem and self confidence.

Steph

You are right again TSOW!

You should have went into medicine TSOW.

Better yet, you should have been a nurse!? Steph

Retired

High praise indeed, coming from yourself :eek: :eek:

Thank you.? ?

On the serious side, having experienced the effects of ill informed people throughout my childhood and having lived the early part of my life with the doubts and isolation your described, when I suddenly learned about Tourette, which described me in a radio public service announcement in 1980 and later read the literature sent me by the Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada...I suddenly realized, in my forties....I was not alone.

That revelation changed my outlook on life, however it took a few years of help and counseling to come to terms with many of the monsters that ruled my life up to that time.? Self esteem was the prize for me after this therapeutic process.

I promised myself I would do whatever I could from that time on to assist in improving awareness of Tourette among people whose lives are affected by Tourette directly or indirectly, and who might otherwise not have had the benefit of truly understanding the disorder.

A venue such as Psychlinks as well as the Support Forum of the TSFC allows me the opportunity to achieve that goal.

Steph

TSOW,

I would do whatever I could from that time on to assist in improving awareness of Tourette among people whose lives are affected by Tourette directly or indirectly

I realized that my son had TS because of the TSFC forum and for that fact alone, I am forever grateful.

Because the TSFC has helped my son I want to give back also. Steph

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.