More threads by jeffrey

jeffrey

Hello,

Being a reformed user of drugs I used to come across the argument of Heroin vs Methadone as a treatment regularly.

Methadone is a gradually controlled method of weaning addicts off of Heroin. It stays in the system for longer and is more potent than Heroin. Therefore, by slowly reducing the dosage. the less the physical and mental withdrawal, combined with good counseling and support the addict can hopefully reintegrate back into society. In theory Methadone reduction is an excellent method but in reality it seems to fail in the majority of cases. Methadone worked for me: I was prepared to fight my addiction and summoned up the will to take it on with the help of that green elixir METHADONE. I had a supportive family in which I gained strength, great counselors, and a very good Doctor. With all these combinations and time, I healed. The Methadone was used and controlled correctly and it worked.

But for many it's not the case. Friends I had never had the family structure or support. They came from broken homes and lived in deprived areas. In their hearts they wanted to be free from the awful addiction of Heroin. All of them went on Methadone programs. Most had the same Doctor as myself and saw the same counselors. Most of them are now dead.

The preference for Heroin rather than Methadone was total among the many users. They would use their Methadone supply as an inbetweener to keep the withdrawal at bay. They would still seek out the Heroin. For them it would only be Heroin. Everything else was just second rate and not the real thing. I asked my Doctor once, "Why does the government prescribe Methadone and not pure Diamorphine?" His answer was clear and simple. "It's cheaper". I don't think that is the whole truth but I would agree that it's probably some of it. My addicted friends died of needle related disease or neglect. I think they died needlessly. Methadone worked for me but not for them. For them a Heroin programme may have been better but instead they were criminalised and resorted to criminal behaviour to obtain their fixes from the real criminals - the dealers to whom money is the be all and end all.

Surely it would be cheaper for society to have Heroin addicts controlled and monitored with prescribed Heroin... cheaper for the world and the misery that the illegal trade produces. I believe that if Methadone can be used then so can Heroin and even if an addict never kicks the habit at least he could live a normal life and work and function normally to a point. Surely it would be a better life rather than being on the fringes of society living in a subculture of depravity.

There are two books I have read in my time that really struck a chord: Ben Elton's High Society (fiction) and The Pursuit of Oblivion by Richard Davenport-Hines (Factual). I believe there is too much corruption in the world and that is the real sickness that will kill us all eventually.

freedom
Peace, Love and Happiness to the world. Jeff

HA

Re: Heroin Vs Methadone

A warm welcome to psychlinks, Jeff! :welcome:

Your post was very informative and thought provoking, Jeffrey. I hope you continue to share your thoughts and experiences with us. I'm sorry to hear that you have lost so many of your friends to this addiction.

I once met a 17yr old on the street who said he wish he had never tried heroin. It's not an easy battle to win.

Congratulations on your success with recovery! :goodjob:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Heroin Vs Methadone

I think they died needlessly.

All addicts who die as a direct or indirect result of their addictions die needlessly.

I think the real lesson of your story is not that heorin is a better treatment than methadone but rather that addicts who don't really want to quit being addicts aren't going to benefit significantly from ANY form of treatment. And I think the many years of research into addictions treatment programs tells us that very clearly.

jeffrey

My addiction to heroin started at the age of 19 and was a stepping stone from cannabis and other drugs like amphetamine and LSD.

ladylore

Account Closed
Welcome Jeff :) And I am glad your with us alive and kicking. Addictions can be hard to overcome, especially the Post Accute Withdrawal stage and symptoms. A time in recovery, I have been told, where many go back out.

jeffrey

I do understand that i shall probably live with the battle of addiction all my life,or drug use at least.

I used to do drugs on a daily basis,not anymore,sometimes though maybe four or five times a year i will find something to do.There seems to be a massive market in legal alternatives which i have tried but really this just triggers the cycle of wanting, 99% of my life i`m sober and honestly i do feel much better but i have done psychological damage over the years and this is a struggle at times.

I have an inquisitive mind and think a lot about everything,so much so that at times i feel as if i`m being overwhelmed by the entirety of life and this either depresses me or makes me anxious. I find it hard to cope with people at times and don`t know exactly how to take them,people work on all different levels,some are sneaky and some are open and i get fooled a lot and it`s only when i reflect on peoples comments that i realize that they were being not very nice and then i get angry, i lack confidence and self esteem. Sometimes i have a surge of feeling that i`m in control of my emotions and i feel centered and i talk well and feel that this is how i should be but most of the time it`s hard to work it all out.

In my work i deal with the elderly and they all think i`m a nice decent fellow, they don`t know about my past and they don`t need to although sometimes i wish i could tell them. I do despair at my future, i`m 32 with no children and no partner, i failed miserably in relationships and now live at home with my aging parents, the tortures i`ve put them through in the past with my behaviour is bad. I know i`m the only one with the power to free my mind but i seem unable and feel locked inside it.

ladylore

Account Closed
Don't despair Jeffery as it takes time for our brains to right themselves after an addiction. I am 36 and I don't have kids or a relationship at this time either, but that's ok for me right now. It does seem frustrating at times, but things do get better - at least they have for me. Moods have evened out, cravings have disappeared (unless I am under stress). And I know things change including feelings...

But I do hear you and I am glad your clean and sober now. Your giving your body a fighting chance now to rid itself of all the subtances...very cool. After a year being clean, I am only now thinking about going back to school. I have known so many people who get back to work after 3, 6 months clean. But that wasn't me. It takes time - and everyone is different.

Take Care
Ladylore

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.