More threads by lulu2000

lulu2000

Hi all, My formal diagnosis is usually MDD. However, after a recent possible medication induced hypomanic state I may be considered to have BPD. Still sorting all that out. Anyway I came to this site for an odd reason. Not only for support but for information. While in my hypomanic state I decided it would be a great idea to write a story on AD induced hypomanic shopping sprees! Now, I'm no longer hypomanic but have all these obligations to fulfill thanks to promises (and contracts) I made while hypomanic. So, I may post later asking for stories that I can add to my article.

My story is that after my new doctor added remeron to my paxil (Paxil had stopped working) I felt sooooo good. I talked to everyone. No social anxiety (and I usually have that). I felt powerful. I felt smart. And I went shopping! As a student have no money. I went to TJ Maxx and bought over $1,000 in merchandise, mostly clothes. I was so proud of myself thinking I was making all these great decisions about sales and such. Two days later it wore off. I felt like crap. Returned the stuff to the store (most of it.) told my dr. and he told me that this is not an unheard of reaction to an AD. So, now I've been researching this like mad. I went off the Paxil and got hypomanic again! So there's the rebound effect. Now I'm not changing anything for the time being.

But I'm more than a diagnosis. I'm also a doctoral candidate and a mother and a pretty kind person overall.;)

lulu2000

Hi, Lulu...

So you discontinued the Paxil, but did you remain on Remeron?
Hi David, I went back up on the Paxil because the doc believes the mania/hypomania could be due to withdrawal from Paxil OR to adding the remeron. I had decided myself to reduce the paxil from 20 mg to 10 because I hate the idea of being on three meds (also on Klonopin). So now 15 mg remeron; .5 clonazapam; 20 mg paxil. He wants me to start lamictal but I'm terrified of the rash side effect possibility so I haven't filled the script yet.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Welcome Lulu! Gosh a first hypomanic or manic state must be a rather scary or stressful thing once you figure out what's happening!

I'm so happy that you know that you are much, much more than any illness, diagnosis, symptom or struggle you have or any thing that has happened, and that these things don't define you. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.