More threads by crr890

crr890

I've been depressed for about three years now and I'am finally realizing something. Before my depression, I had a 4.0 gpa, I did stuff every weekend with my best friend, and I was very sociable and outgoing. Now, I have a 3.2 gpa, I do nothing on weekends, I have no best friend, and I'm terrified to go to social events. However, I no longer have the sleep problems I used to have. What I'm realizing though, is that for the last 3 years I have been comparing everything I do to my old self. I feel ticked because I have a 3.2, when I should have a 4.0. I feel down because the people I eat lunch with are not as popular as the people I used to eat lunch with. I guess I have been trying to become like my old self, but I can't. I'm an entirely different person than I used to be. I think that I will never be my old self again. I'm also thinking about how crappy my high school experience has been. I've got 2 more years and it's over. Should I move to a different city and start over? Should I move and try to change schools?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It sounds more like the changes in your life are because of depression, not the other way round. Changing schools or cities isn't likely to change that, is it?

Have you talked to anyone about the depression or what you might be doing to treat it?

crr890

It sounds more like the changes in your life are because of depression, not the other way round. Changing schools or cities isn't likely to change that, is it?
Well i've tried many things to help the depression and nothing has really worked, and it just seems like the only other option i have is to move and try to start over. I guess you're right though, my problems will still follow me wherever i go.

Have you talked to anyone about the depression or what you might be doing to treat it?
Yes, i did see a psychologist, but he moved to another state and i haven't really kept in touch. I didn't help that much either, i mean it felt good to get everything off my chest, but there isn't much i can do to fix my situation. I've tried wellbutrin and prozac, but neither of those seemed to help me either.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
How long did you see the psychologist? What did you work on with the psychologist? How long did you take the Prozac and the Wellbutrin?

Rosa

I really just wanted to say welcome to the boards:) I agree with the statement that our problems always go with us. Depression is a hard thing to deal with but it can we can deal with it. How long has your therapist been gone? If that happened to me I think it would hurt alot.
Take care
Rosa

crr890

I saw the psychologist for about a year. We just talked about what was going on my life. I think i took wellbutrin for 3 months and prozac for 3 months.

Rosa

Did you find that the medication helped? Unfortunately, I think the high school years are alot more disappointing than alot of people realize, so I don't think your alone. If you felt comfortable with your other therapist is it possible to contact them and get a referral to someone in your area?
Take care
Rosa

Eunoia

you still have 2 more yrs left of h/s and then you have your whole life ahead of you. trust me, I had my "good" and my "bad" years in high school, just like I have had good and bad courses in univ. and if there's one thing I can tell you, is that just b/c you have a bad year in terms of your gpa that doesn't determine the rest of your grades in the future... but I do think that it would help you a lot to talk to someone about your depression again, b/c depression is one of those things you can't really get yourself out of on your own- at least from my experience. What about your school counsellor? Can you go talk to him/her at least for now? And your GP for a referral to a new therapist? Moving away to "start over" would help momentarily maybe, but if there's a "deeper"/ underlying issue like depression then changing locations won't fix that- problems tend to follow you wherever you go, no matter how you try to run away- I've tried. It's like fixing the paint job on the facade of a house, but inside you still need to do all kinds of renovations (bad analogy maybe but you get my point). It is difficult to be in h/s and to want to go back to the "way things were" but hun, you still have all that potential in you, you just need some help and you deserve to be able to enjoy life again.. one of the good things about h/s is that you do have resources around you and people who care and see you every day- don't forget about that.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.