More threads by Retired

Retired

If a member has been absent from the Forum for a couple of months, and would like to catch up on the threads that have been posted since their last visit, how can they quickly identify these threads?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't know of any direct easy way, other than going through all the threads one by one.

My approach is to check Quick Links | Today's Posts with some frequency. Ongoing threads or issues will invariably turn up there and I can subscribe to those threads so I get subsequent notifications.

Retired

Agreed that New Posts or Today's Posts are the tools for frequent users, but I was wondering about a tool that might return All Unread Threads.

TSOW thanks for asking about this, it would be good to have a tool like this, as sometimes even now being on everyday and using the tools here I still end up missing some threads and posts and I usually see some when the newsletter arrives!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
One drawback to the add-on I found is that it requires that the record of which threads are read and unread be stored in the database.

From an administrative point of view, this is an issue for two reasons:

1. It adds to the size of the database, making both backups lengthier and increasing the risk of issues if you ever have to transfer your website to another server; and

2. It means extra database queries every time anyone accesses a thread or does a search for new posts - on some servers, this may create the kind of databasae errors we saw frequently on our old server.

Retired

The description of the add on seems to do what I was referring to. As you recall, the tool is one which is available on SMF and is what brought it to mind.

Of course if the tool creates complications in administering the software, a benefits vs risks assesment needs to be made;)

i think the best thing for a user to do would be to do a search and input the dates for which they want to find threads. i believe there is an option in the advanced search screen to specify dates for posts.

Retired

Ladybug,

Nice try! Using your idea, I attempted to use some wildcards in the advances search, but the software wants at least a three letter keyword.

If the search engine could accomodate more universal wildcards, your idea might just work.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.