More threads by Retired

Retired

From what I understand, we can change our DNA with meditation and beliefs. I think there is proof of this somewhere, but at the moment I'm too busy to look it up.

I think all of us would like to see credible peer reviewed published scientific evidence of that claim! Psychlinks does not allow unsupported claims that are contrary to mainstream medical norms.

Peter

MVP
Interesting thread 'How we get addicted'. I personally try to avoid pointing at a single cause for any addiction. I believe that an addition contains multiple activated predisposing factors in a person. The reason I say this is recovery from an addition is hardly ever successful by using a singular approach or line of action. The only exception might be the rare occasion of person experiencing a complete spiritual awakening. In which case, they would most likely remain abstinent - and be happy about it.

Quite often, a person in early recovery from addiction will try to find a singular cause for their dilemma. This is a natural human expectation or hope. The idea being, if the cause can be pinpointed then surely a simple solution can be utilized to overcome the addiction. However, there may be deeper reasons for hoping that such a reprieve from addition may be available. For instance, an addict might hope that such a reprieve could be utilized whenever they thought it was time to have a break from the addition, like taking a pill to relieve a headache. An even deeper reason for wanting a simple solution is the idea that overcoming their addition does not warrant concern, not YET anyway.

As soon as the addicted person, who is in recovery mode, realizes that recovery is not going to be as simple as they hoped, in most cases, they become ready for accepting outside professional and/or self-help community intervention.

Many years ago, I came across a health professional for the military, who told me that their definition of addiction was ‘if you try an illegal drug, more than once, then you are addicted.’ The more I think about it, the more I can see its validity.

vonne

My daughter now 36 has three children(8-3) and has separated from her husband because he is having a long distance affair. I fear for her because I know she has a drinking problem; she drinks in secret...she puts spirits in fruit juice or snack drink bottles and hides them. Recently while we were camping together she kept going to the car and doing something in the back seat. My friend & other daughter smelt alcohol on her breath so we know what she was doing.

When she stayed with us two years ago we found an empty gin bottle inside a bag with disposable nappies covering it up, I did confront her about it but she denied it is a problem, I know it is a problem and getting worse. She is under a lot of stress because of the separation and her eldest son has a behavioral problem, her husband has been diagnosed with NPD. He is a textbook case!

Is there anything I can do, she needs to stop now before it gets any worse. If any of the children see it and tell their father (they see him often) he will find some way to take them away from her.

Can someone please tell what to do as it worries me constantly, she is a an intelligent girl with a good job and three lovely children and could lose it all if it she doesn't get it under control.

Very anxious mum:(

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.