More threads by kelsischanging

I had theraphy today and my therapist said that in my first session w/ him i told him that i lie alot and that i like to lie....that is true but I have been sooooo honest w/ him....now i don't think that he believes what I am telling him and I am dealing w/ some really hard crap right now...I told him that I have been honest w/ him...but i just got this sense that he doesn't believe me...should I switch therapist?? I mean I have lied to therapist in the past (i've had two others)...but I have acctually been doing some good work w/ this one and I just don't know if I can start over w/ a new therapist right now, but if this therapist doesn't believe me then I don't know what to do...should I tell him that I don't think he believes me....I'm just so confused right now...also I'm hurt that he doesn't believe me...any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't think my therapist believes me...

should I tell him that I don't think he believes me....I'm just so confused right now...also I'm hurt that he doesn't believe me...any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Definitely raise this issue with him before you think any more about finding another therapist. At this point, you are worried and hurt over something that may not have happened/be happening.

You raised the issue with your therapist about lying. Of course, your therapist will need to address this in other sessions and even from time to time possibly to verify that you are being honest with him. I don't think you can reasonably expect anyhting else from any therapist at this point.

There is a difference between asking, "Are you telling the truth?" and saying, "I think you're lying".

There is a difference between asking, "Are you telling the truth?" and saying, "I think you're lying".

That is a really good point. i never really thought about it like that...i think that I will try to talk to him about it next time I see him...thanks

Lynnie

I don't think my therapist believes me.....

hi Kels. I would recommend you to talk to your therapist about it in your next session. i would feel hurt also. infact i am beginning to feel the same, as there was a remark that came out of my therapists' mouth. stating well that's a lie' i just looked at her with no response. i know i never lied to her. always been honest and open with her. i let that remark go. but sometimes when i do see her. i now wonder if she does believe me, about anything i say to her. i am going to ask her when i have another appointment. if she does. if you do not feel comfortable with yours after talking to him, there are other therapists out there. good luck.

Re: I don't think my therapist believes me.....

Lynnie said:
stating well that's a lie' i just looked at her with no response.i let that remark go. but sometimes when i do see her. i now wonder if she does believe me, about anything i say to her..
hi Lynnie....
yeah that's like exactly what happened to me...the reason he got suspicious is because when i was answering a question about something i hesitated for a minute...i mean my god the world is over cause i hesitated?? i don't think so but now I just am like thinking over things i have told him and am wondering did he believe me when i told him this or that...i don't know i've almost moved from being hurt to angry.. you know how it goes....thanks for the advise...i hope you are also able to talk to your therapist and get things figured out!

I had theraphy today, and I told my therapist that what he said last time made me believe that he didn't believe me and he said that he did believe everything that I said...even though it was hard for me to bring up I'm glad I did...thank you for everyone who encourged me to bring it up w/ him...I'm starting to see that expressing yourself can be a good thing...sometimes :)
~K~

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.