More threads by Dragonfall

I'm Alyssa. I'm 19 and I live in Ontario. :) I'm here because I find mental health fascinating.

I personally have not had any recent problems in mental health, but I used to be socially anxious. My doctor put me on Zoloft, and I have mixed feelings about my experience on it. I felt like it made me superficially happy. I felt awful on the inside, but I couldn't show it on the outside. Is this how all anti-depressant medications work? I was going through a bad time in my life in middle school and I felt like nothing was ever right with me. Hormones, body changes, life changes with my mom losing her job. I saw the school guidance councellor on a weekly basis so that she could tell me her life story and tell me to do my homework. I stopped taking the pills because I was sick of feeling so empty. Bad mistake. Then after one angry french class, I wrote that I would kill myself in my agenda. She took me into her office and told me what a special person I was. She didn't make anything better. I ended up changing schools a year later, and my whole life has been on track since. I chose a different high school than the one that all of my peers went to, and it paid off.

I really wish there were better counselors out there. I've been considering getting into teaching, anyway. :)

Retired

Welcome Dragonfall,

Thank you for sharing your story.

I really wish there were better counselors out there. I've been considering getting into teaching, anyway

Teaching is a great career choice where you can make a real difference in young peoples' lives. As for the skills of counselors, like in every profession, there are good ones and some who are not as skilled.

However, if we can learn from the shortcomings of others to help improve our own performance, then they have had a positive impact on our lives.

Hope you enjoy Psychlinks!

Welcome Dragonfall,

Thank you for sharing your story.

Teaching is a great career choice where you can make a real difference in young peoples' lives. As for the skills of counselors, like in every profession, there are good ones and some who are not as skilled.

However, if we can learn from the shortcomings of others to help improve our own performance, then they have had a positive impact on our lives.

Hope you enjoy Psychlinks!
I never thought about it that way. Thank you. :)

Thanks guys!

momof5

Welcome Dragon,

I'm sorry to read that you were having such a difficult time that made you feel like taking your life.

And happy to read that you have worked out some things and are attending a new school that is making things better for you.

Just remember that inside as well as outside we are all unique people and all have special things about us that make us unique. It is a pleasure to meet you!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.