More threads by Thelostchild

I'm so sick and tired of going up and down with emotions I feel depressed and there's no hope and then I think everything is ok. I sometimes think that my meds are not working. I don't know I can't explain any of why I'm feeling low one day and next everything is ok. I feel like :mad: :D :eek: :( :cry: :frown: :confused: I edited out what I wanted to do.

Peanut

Hey Em, sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad right now. :( But try to remember, like you said yourself, sometimes you feel like everything is OK, so you know you'll feel like that again. I can relate to feeling like your making progress with something on some days and then other days feel like setbacks. I don't know what to say to make you feel better but I wanted to say hi and you'll push through this. :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I don't know I can't explain any of why Im feeling low one day and next everything is ok.

For better or worse, this is perfectly normal with chronic, "unipolar" depression, at least the variety of depression I have. My favorite quote about tolerating some emotional instability in one's life is by Kay Jamison, who had manic depression:

It is, at the end of the day, the individual moments of restlessness, of bleakness, of strong persuasions and maddened enthusiasms, that inform one's life, change the nature and direction of one's work, and give final meaning and color to one's loves and friendships.

Kay Redfield Jamison - Wikipedia

Anyway, as I get older, my depression is becoming more stable. In other words, unlike some other diseases, depression tends to gets better, not worse, with time.

dear tlc, i don't have much time to reply to you right now but i wanted to let you know my heart goes out to you and that i go through the same thing. hang in there and i will respond better when i have more time. take care.

Halo

I can relate all to well to how you are feeling TLC. I have been there so many times and wondering whether the meds are actually working. The way I have started to look at it is if I didn't take the medication then I would probably not even have the ok days at all. I think that if I can have a couple ok days now it is better than it was and maybe those ok days will be more and more frequent.

Now I know that it is hard and upsetting but remember that maybe things will get better and you need to hold on to get through the rough times. We are all here for you when you need us to lean on.

Take Care

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Also, medication is just one form of treatment. For me, therapy, exercise, self-help, and the passage of time have helped a lot, with therapy and exercise being the most helpful.

Well it always helps to have your psychologist there. Unfortuntally mine is going to be gone for two weeks? I don't if I could just go see my marriage counselor. And to think this is what im going to have to deal with for the rest of my life. thats a bumber but it I get this from my mom.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
And to think this is what im going to have to deal with for the rest of my life.

If you are referring to depression, being depressed in one's 20s does not rule out having, for the most part, a happy adulthood in one's 30s and later on. This may be one reason why the suicide rate is lower for people in their 30s than for people in their 20s (other than the fact that people are more impulsive when they are younger).

ThatLady

Daniel said:
And to think this is what im going to have to deal with for the rest of my life.

If you are referring to depression, being depressed in one's 20s does not rule out having, for the most part, a happy adulthood in one's 30s and later on. This may be one reason why the suicide rate is lower for people in their 30s than for people in their 20s (other than the fact that people are more impulsive when they are younger).

That's so true, Daniel. I'm living proof! Yet, I remember very well how desolate I felt when I was suffering, so I understand where TLC is coming from. Just hang in there and keep trying, TLC. There is a light at the end of that tunnel, believe me.

ThatLady

That's probably, at least partially, true, TLC. The unknown is always a scary place, and to a young person there's a lot of life ahead and it's all unknown. However, it's possible to mitigate that by making good, solid plans for your future, thinking about what you want to do with your life, and planning how to get there. It doesn't completely eliminate the unknown, but it serves to put a life-plan in place so there will be fewer surprises. :)

hi tlc, looks like you've gotten lots of feedback from others on the forum. i'm going through the ups and downs myself and it is absolutely driving me crazy and i just can't stand it either. some days i think everything is fine and then i am optimistic. other days i feel awful and get discouraged and think i will never get better and life is always going to be a struggle. i think there has been a lot of good feedback and one thing we both need to do is to remember that we do have better days. i know it's incredibly hard to focus on the positive. but maybe next time when you feel like this come read this thread. at least you know you can post your feelings and have caring people support you. half the time all i want is just to know someone cares and that helps me through my lows. let us know if any of this helps.

ThatLady

Ack-sin-chew-ate the positive and
E-lim-in-ate the negative and
Hold on to the affirmative and
Don't mess with Mr. In Between! :D

Pardon me. I had a musical moment. :unsure: :red: :eek: :think: :flowers:

ThatLady

It's a really old song, TLC...from even before I was born...probably, even before Dr. Baxter was born! :shocked:

It popped into my head because you and baseballcap had mentioned having those optimistic days. That's basically what the song is saying. You have to put the emphasis on the positive and chase the negatives out of your head.

Like I said, it was just one of those weird times when a musical moment jumps on me! :D

oh yeah like I know my number my telephone number wont you sing it with me. I found myslef doing that when i was waitting for my therapist one day. weird

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.