More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I WILL Get Better
by Therese Borchard
June 3, 2013

I don?t know about you, but when I?m depressed, my self-talk goes something like this:

• ?This is uncomfortable ? I wish I were dead.?
  • "I don?t know what to do about x, y, and z ? I wish I were dead.?
  • "I can?t escape this sadness ? I wish I were dead.?
  • "How can I get rid of this awful anxiety? ? I wish I were dead.?

Do you recognize the common denominator? The only resolution I see is to give up and die ? either actively (when I?m extremely depressed and suicidal) or passively on other days. I don?t have the energy or the confidence to problem-solve. Which is why I have to be proactive with regard to my self-talk when I?m feeling very depressed and anxious. If not, my thoughts will follow the path of least resistance?and fantasize about death. I have to make a conscious effort to turn them around. And I have to repeat over and over and over again this sentence: ?I WILL get better.?

Sometimes I just say in my head or out loud (LOL) NO! to myself to help myself stop thinking the way I'm thinking. I tell myself to be firm, but gentle with myself. If no one else is going to treat me well at least I should.

Banned

Banned
This is a good post. My self-talk is ALL about how it would be so much easier to just be dead :(. It's hard work to stay alive and and fight these battles day in and day out.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I agree... It really is hard work to live, and that's just for anyone.... but with ongoing big battles also? Phew. :S

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.