More threads by Sparrow

Sparrow

Thought I would add a medication for migraines to the article. Imitrex, also known as Sumatriptan was a godsend for me. I have stuck with the 20 mg. nasal dose when it first came out because it works for me, nothing ever did. It's a little bit pricey but I don't care! There was recently a tablet form made available but I stay with what works.

Retired

Imitrex was actually the very first migraine specific medication, in the class of medications known as triptans.

It is available in various forms in addition to oral tablet, to overcome the obstacle of nausea and vomiting while treating the migraine attack.

Examples of alternative forms are the nasla spray you use, as well as suppository and injectible for use in hospital ER.

How many years have you been using Imitrex?

Sparrow

I have been using it for at least 10 years or so, late 90's. In my case I only use it for my migraines once every 2 - 3 month or so when I have an episode.
20 years prior, I suffered so so bad.

momof5

Imitrex didn't work for me. It was thought that I was getting migraines, when it was really muscle spasam headaches.

At one time I did get extremly bad migraines. I was on the older meds like caffergot pb, etc.. Some were for when I would feel the headache oncoming. Others were for when it hit me.

Fiorinal was also one that I took. lol, guess I am dating my headaches a bit ;)

Retired

The first migraine med I was prescribed was Imitrex with which I had 90% effectiveness for relief, which is outstanding performance for any medication.

However, I developed a tolerance after a few years, where the effectiveness was drastically reduced. ie. I would not always get migraine relief when I took the medication.

My doctor prescribed Maxalt, but I found the packaging to be impossible to open to access the tablet...especially in the middleo f the night with a migraine going on.

Instead I was prescribed Zomig in the Rapimelt form. Rapimelt is a tablet which does not require water, because it immediately melts and disintigrates as soon as it comes in contact with saliva.

Zomig has been effective for me for the last five or seven years with over 90% effectiveness.

momof5

Steve, I"m happy to hear that you are having good luck with your headache meds.

The last one they prescriped for me, I had a reaction to. I'm not sure what it is, the dr has it listed on my long list of meds not to take. I had gotten really sick on it.

chell

l was on lmitrex and found it wonderful, but the Quebec Government no longer covered it in the medical plan, so they switched me to a generic pill and that made me sick and now l am on Zomig and l find it works just as well as lmitrex did. Chell

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.