More threads by Cat Dancer

I'm not sure what is going on, but for a few months I have been having really bad joint and bone pain. It's really bad in the morning. I can barely get up and walk because my lower back and pelvic area hurt so much. The joints on my fingers are so sore I can't bend them all the way, especially on my right hand. I thought it was related to being pregnant, but the pain hasn't gone away since I've had him. In fact, it seems to be just staying the same or even getting a little worse. I'm almost in tears every morning getting up out of bed.

I guess I should see my doctor, but I'm afraid in a way. What if it's cancer or what if it's nothing? I'm afraid there might be nothing anyone can do or that she'll tell me it's all in my head. I feel so stupid and silly limping around all day. It's frustrating and I'm even more frustrated with myself for being scared to go see my doctor.

I'm wondering what kind of tests she could do to see what's going on? I've never had issues like this before and I'm feeling so much empathy for people who deal with chronic pain. :( It's also not helping with the somewhat severe depression and anxiety that I'm feeling.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I thought it was related to being pregnant, but the pain hasn't gone away since I've had him.
I, too, would assume it's related to the pregnancy, holding a baby, etc.

How many months has it been since the birth?

Of course, I don't think you have anything to lose by seeing a doctor. And just getting it over with may give you one less thing to ruminate/worry about, besides getting relief for your symptoms.

It does seem to be pregnancy related. I'm hoping it will eventually go away. He's 11 1/2 weeks. I did a little googling and it does seem that some women do have postpartum joint pain. It's kind of strange. :confused:

Banned

Banned
I'd still see your doctor, CD. Maybe there's something you can either take, or some exercises you can do to help with it. You shouldn't have to be miserable from pain, so it's worth checking out your options.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Definitely call your doctor, CD. It may be nothing serious, and, if so the doctor will be able to tell you that. That's why s/he is there... don't worry that you may be "bothering" him/her. :)

hey CD i hope you do go see your doctor as it must be very hard to look after your little one in so much pain. It is important to let your doctor know what is going on. Your doctor can run some blood test or do other test to determine what is exactly causing this pain then treatment given accordingly. Please don't suffer anymore not when your doctor may be able to help you. Take care okay

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Some more motivation to see a doctor:

If you continue to have back pain, or it gets worse, contact your health care provider. Don't ignore back pain -- the sooner you get treated, the faster you will recover.

I get a lot of back pain when lifting my baby. Are there any exercises that can help me with this problem?
Postpartum pain might take you by surprise, but postpartum doesn't have to be painful. Be vocal about what you're feeling and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Postpartum Pain Relief - About.com

unionmary

Arthritis? Not a pleasant illness, but a tolerable one. I have it bad in my right hip. In line for a replacement, but i have had toooo many durn surgeries.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
As Cat Dancer's Google search pointed out, it seems many if not most women experience joint pain after giving birth:

Your body has been physically stressed by the additional weight it has been carrying around for the past few months. If you had an epidural, you may have sprained your tailbone during the delivery without even knowing it. Anything from chronic fatigue syndrome to rheumatoid arthritis may be the culprit. The most common reason, however, has to do with a pregnancy hormone called relaxin.

The Relaxin Hormone
During pregnancy, your body releases relaxin, which loosens your ligaments to help you carry the baby as it gets heavier and helps to prepare your body for the delivery. After birth, it takes awhile for your ligaments to retract to their original positions, and you may be in pain or feel like your joints are weaker until they do so.

How Long Does the Pain Last?

In general, postpartum joint pain can last anywhere from six weeks to six months. The pain can be exacerbated by new chores brought on from caring for your baby. For instance, carrying the baby in your arms can worsen arm, wrist and hand pain. Breastfeeding can cause you to further strain your back if you are not positioned properly during the feedings.

Postpartum Joint Pain | eHow.com

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Hi Cat Dancer. Regarding being afraid to call your doctor, I relate to that as well. Sometimes in my mind I think I am bothering them. The thing is, even when I do go to my GP for things, she is always kind and never thinks I am a bother.

I still build myself up worrying about if I am going to see her over something trivial, but no matter what she always believes me.

When I noticed how it was that I worried and that she was always caring no matter what, it started to make me realize that it was the fear I build up on my own. Because my doctors are never mean or make me feel unwelcome or that I am bothering them.

I still get scared and nervous, but I always try to think back to my last appointment, when I worried myself too and they were nice to me when I went.

I hope you go see your doctor Cat Dancer, cause you should not have to be in pain. :support: I hope also I explained things ok in this post.

my therapist is always encouraging me to call if i feel i need it, so that we can nip things in the bud instead of them getting worse just because i feel i am being a bother or a nuisance. i would imagine it goes the same with your doctor. it is better to see them for something small before it becomes something big. if it's something small, it takes no time at all for them to deal with too, so it really isn't any trouble at all. it's their job to look after you.

I hope you are feeling a little better today CD and hope you made appointment to see your doctor. Getting your pain under control will help you in so many areas sleep for one and helping you deal with the little one and just help you cope better as well. Pain free is so much better try to get in and see GP okay take care.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.