More threads by Daffodil

Daffodil

Discussion about therapy.

I just want to open a discussion thread about my somewhat odd relationship with my therapist.

After complimenting me on numerous occasions about my personal appearance such as " you're sexy" "sex on a stick" and "you're attractive". This only makes me want to be even more attractive for the doctor.

Whilst we were working together in the "accidentally" touched my hand - this is something he has been careful never to do before, even though we have been in the same position before.

He knows how I feel about being "let go" and the anxiety and shock it sends me in, and I feel like he is using this to control me. He frequently invites me " to walk out the door" and" stop coming to therapy".

I got particularly upset in the last session, when I complained about mentions of childhood sexual molestation and his response was "you're sex on a stick and you can't talk about sex" I was upset because I feel that childhood abuse and adult expression of sexuality are two very different things.

Please let me know your thoughts. Also, please do not suggest |I quit this therapist asap...i simply cannot. he has hold over me like nothing else. Whatever he suggests I do outside the therapeutic setting, I do like a person on auto pilot.

I think it's a reached a point where I have lost my autonomy in the relationship.

This summer he told " when I take you, you won't even know it".

He also has a clever way of using language, which gives him the upper hand and I feel like he knows exactly what he he doing and is playing me like a puppet on a string.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: Intense fear - and it it possible to loose one's autonomy in the theraputic setti

I think it's a reached a point where I have lost my autonomy in the relationship, and he must be right when he once told " when I take you, you won't even know it".

What does that mean: "When I take you" ?

Daffodil

Re: Intense fear - and it it possible to loose one's autonomy in the theraputic setti

Go Figure.

The doc goes back and forth between compliments and insults - the insults leave me on a low, miserable and anxious state. The compliments leave me feeling high.

I don't think he's being appropriate at all. I DO think you should quit going to see him. :(

Daffodil

I have invested so much in therapy, I feel like I am going to suffer a great loss if I quit. I have been told by ALL my friends to quit - even by the person who referred me, as he senses what's really going on.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Have you considered seeing two therapists -- your current therapist and a new therapist? It is not unheard of to see two therapists during a period of transition from one therapist to the other.

Also, at least some therapists will be more than willing to discuss (with your permission) your clinical history to the new therapist.

Daffodil

Good suggestion. I mentioned to my current therapist, that I would like to transfer to a therapist closer to where I live (as I had moved), he immediately yelled at me, "If you go there you cannot come back here" which again sent me into shock waves, and then he said "I am the best there is"

Then he told me, seeing two therapists is like seeing two men at the same time, it's resisting two lines of thinking.

I am afraid also, if I see another, he will know from the OHIP billing, that I am seeing another, and then he will dump me, which will be devastating.

Hi Daffodil,

I think you should discuss switching therapists with you general practitioner as it sounds to me that he is not acting appropriately and if need be your G.P. could report this and deal with it appropriately.

It's not your fault that he's chosen to behave this way and any disciplinary action against him would be direct result of his unprofessional behaviour and quite possibly you are not the only one he's treated in this manner which is all the more reason to report him and find a new therapist who will respect your feelings and help you to heal. (Perhaps you would feel more comfortable dealing with a female therapist.)

You say you fear suffering a great loss if you quit, but I fear more what might happen to you if you don't quit. A therapist should not ever under any circumstances that i can imagine call a client "sex on a stick." That's disgusting.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Your therapist is violating ethical boundaries and manipulating you and taking advantage of his position of authority. This is, first, professionally inappropriate, and, second, dangerous for you. The therapeutic relationship has been destroyed and has already lost any potential for helping you.

The comments of the other members above are correct: You need to stop seeing this therapist.

You are in a very vulnerable position and i know you are afraid of letting go of this so called therapist which he is NOT
He is abusing his power and his abilities okay
You would be doing all his clients a tremendous favpr in telling someone what is happening You just have to tell your GP or another professional and they can help you get him away from harming others.

The first thing you need to do is to look after you though You are being harmed hun you need to walk away now and don't go back You do not have to call him or give any explanation you just need to shut this door now okay You get your GP to get you another therapist who will look after you emotional needs This guy is not the best hell now he is the worst hun the worst he is not a therapist at all.

Please hun listen to what is being said here and you get yourself far away from this therapist you don't go back

Daffodil

Hi Budoaiki

MY GP told me to stop seeing him two years ago, and I did not. So my GP is not aware that I am still seeing him. I am afraid to tell my GP now. MY GP had given me a letter to give him, because MY GP was displeased with a particular issue. I did not give my therapist the letter, as I felt it was a bit harsh, and thus I wanted to protect him. He (my therapist) has always reiterated to me, that he is always right, and is " never wrong" . How can I ever listen to anyone else?

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

@ Cat Dancer:At first I took intense offense to the sex on a stick comment, and I try to tell him this. He won't listen and kept brushing me off. After a while, I started taking the sex on a stick comment as a compliment. I guess in my mind he can do no wrong, and he must mean well when he is saying that. BTW, that is the least of what's he's called me, and I cannot try to defend myself. He said he doesn't care.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

@Eclipse:Thank you. I will update this forum when I have done that. As for reporting him, I am scared. He won't let me tape record the sessions - so a third party can actually listen to what's being said - all the name calling and swearing on his part - he said it's because I will never listen to the tape again. I do not know what he's putting in his records, he never lets me see them. He is all about protecting himself, and he is very smart.This is just but the tip of the ice berg. I am so scared. What if he finds out about these posts, then drops me? I will be devastated. I am so scared. No one scares me more than this doctor, he's put the fear of god, and holy terror in me.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

@ Dr. Baxter: Thank you for hosting this message board. I really need the support of the local community ( Ottawa). I am so grateful to be able to share my thoughts here, I don't feel so alone. I may need to use this forum again, when I drop him, or if something worse happens.

LIsten to your gut instinct okay the one that brought you here the one that has you reaching out for help now YOu listen to that you can see the red flags all you have to do is to shut that door and not go back He cannot force you back you walk away NOW okay. You mail the letter the gp gave you better yet you get the gp to mail it to him
YOu are scared of w hat of being discharged from someone that hasn't a dam professional vein in him his conduct is beyond unethnical YOU are the only one that can protect you okay god walk away just do it don't I get it it is your word against his i get that so what you do is protect yourself now you get a new therapist and you don't go there the connection you feel for this therapist is one of his control not yours so break that control now okay He cannot force you to return to his care you have a chose you your choice to now see the danger and walk away from it dam walk away please. You deserve to be treated with respect with kindness and healing NO doctor has a right to swear at you to call you those names YOU have the control now not him you walk away and don't look back

Daffodil

Maybe I am a bad person, and I deserve what I am getting.
That's what he is teaching me to say, in other aspects of my life, so I think it applies to this too.
I am a very bad person. Bad me.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

I think I am bad person for making my doc act like this. I am sure he has helped umteenth others -a fter all he'\s got his lisence in 1981 and is still practicing. So it's me not him. He couldn't possibly be doing this with anyone else. Every relationship I touch turn to mud, it seems. I just want to prove to myself, that I am not going to destroy this ( theraputic) relationship too. THe doc is acting inappropriately because of me. It's my fault. I just want to believe so badly that he is a good person. He is a good person. He is a good persn. He is a good person. But then my rational mind asks..is he? And I don't know the answer to that.

So he called me names, yes he was mean. But my own dad called me names too. I don't hate my dad. Why should I hate my doc?

omg he is a professional he has to be called out on his behavior I cannot tell you how sick this make me that someone in that kind of power abuses it

Banned

Banned
Severing this relationship is probably one of the scariest things you'll ever do, but also one of the bravest and most necessary.

Daffodil

Not there yet.

He's used me enough.

I use to think he helped me a lot,so I felt loyal to him. Now I know,he was getting paid to do that.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.