More threads by MelissaK9174

Hello :) my name is Melissa. I was just diagnosed yesterday with BPD, AVPD, PTSD, and Depression. It was an informal diagnosis by the intake therapist but she was pretty confident in it. I will get the formal diagnosis and meds on Wednesday when I meet with the psychiatrist. I know next to nothing about BPD. So I'm glad to have found this place.

I've googled the crap out of BPD since yesterday and was pretty horrified by the description of the illness. I am close to my sister so I called and asked her if this sounded accurate of me. It made me so sad when she said yes because I don't want to be the person it described. My GP put me on anti-depressants a few years ago and my sis told me that some of it has improved since taking the anti-depressants at least. Though I still feel ill...inside.

I'm not great at making friends anymore but I hope to do that here. I want to reach out and find people that understand me. I feel pretty alone.

Soooooooo yeah...hi everybody lol

AmZ

Welcome ;)

You are not alone! I also have BPD, AvPD and depression.

What kind of help will you be getting therapy-wise?? Have you read about DBT which is specifically a therapy that has been made to help BPD sufferers?

Wishing you well! Things will be OK.

Welcome ;)

You are not alone! I also have BPD, AvPD and depression.

What kind of help will you be getting therapy-wise?? Have you read about DBT which is specifically a therapy that has been made to help BPD sufferers?

Wishing you well! Things will be OK.

I have had basic generic cognitive therapy since the age of 15 but it has been sporadic and I've tried to just figure most of it out by myself. I got to the point where I felt like I couldn't do that and only just had my first visit yesterday with a more professional type mental health facility rather than just run of the mill generic little therapy places like I used to go to. I never stayed at them long, maybe that's why I never got an official diagnosis. The place yesterday gave the informal diagnosis immediately. I was shocked as hell.

She did mentioned that I would need DBT therapy yes. I had never heard of that either. I tried googling that too lol. Am I correct that it's a group therapy? My AvPD part of me is gonna hate that lol

And thank you for the welcome :)

AmZ

You are welcome for the welcomes!

From my understanding, DBT can be done on both a one-to-one basis and in groups too. I'm currently hospitalised and will be starting shortly one-on-one DBT therapy with my psychologist. She said we'll do a years worth of DBT together (which I can do as an outpatient once I leave the hospital) and then after that she'll send me to a place in the city to join a DBT group therapy.

Maybe Dr Baxter can confirm how this therapy is normally carried out? Do you normally start one-on-one and then go in to group therapy? Or you can go straight in to group therapy?

Welcome to Psychlinks, Melissa. Let us know how we can help.

Thanks Steve :) I think reading through everything that has already been posted may keep me busy for a minute lol.

But if I get hung up on something, I'm pretty good about asking someone to help me out with it. In fact, y'all may get tired of it ;) lol

Banned

Banned
Welcome, Melissa. My diagnosis is BPD as well although I've never done DBT. Don't fret though - with help you can live a normal, happy, productive life and take back control of your emotions.

Just want to say hi and welcome you to Psychlinks Melissa

Thank you :) I'm very glad to have found this place.

Welcome, Melissa. My diagnosis is BPD as well although I've never done DBT. Don't fret though - with help you can live a normal, happy, productive life and take back control of your emotions.

Thanks :) I sure hope so. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed at the diagnosis since it was so unexpected. Though I'm not sure why...I knew *something* was wrong lol

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Welcome Melissa!

Having read various posts of yours just wanted to say so sorry for what you have been through. But you're doing great by reaching out for help and support, and the information and support here will definitely be positive in your journey. Glad you found Psychlinks! :)

Welcome Melissa!

Having read various posts of yours just wanted to say so sorry for what you have been through. But you're doing great by reaching out for help and support, and the information and support here will definitely be positive in your journey. Glad you found Psychlinks! :)

Thank you :) it has been a tough life but I'm sure we all have been through some pretty bad junk for us to be here. I've been feeling pretty overwhelmed in general but I am already feeling some relief from reading posts from others who are expressing some of my feelings and understand the F'ed up things I'm dealing with and things that I have even been scared to voice outloud. It's validating and I'm greatful for that.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.