More threads by Little_Girl_Blue

Hello,

I am seriously considering terminating my sessions with the therapist I am seeing - a Jungian psychologist. That was the only therapist I found in my area. I don't have a lot of choice, so I gave it a shot. Now I'm wondering whether I'm better off with no therapy because it feels ineffective.

I have to admit I learned some new things about myself, but I honestly think I'm in a worse situation now than five months ago when I started. The psychologist does not like to set goals nor make a lot of comments on what I say. I have said that this makes me feel a bit lost, but he hasn't changed. I don't like how analysis feels...it makes me feel alone. But when I complain about these things, I don't get much of a reaction. He makes no indication that things are going to change, but he does make it subtly clear that I am going there because I want to, not because he's making me go.

Truly, I go because I don't know where else to go. During the time I have been in therapy I have left my internship and failed to get another job or to study - I can't even enroll in a simple dance class. I'm paralyzed, I feel ashamed of myself for being afraid of life, and I avoid people I know. I had an eating disorder relapse, but I have since gained back the weight and then some because my mother had a cancer scare and that really shook me up. But I don't feel like I have any tools to work with. He only asks me if I have done things I said I'd do...and the answer is almost always no.

It seems to me that he can't help me. I feel like I'm wasting time trying to find the answers myself - seems to me I could do that at home instead of with him. Would be a lot cheaper.

The only concrete thing he has suggested is this technique called Emotional Freedom Technique. I have read about it and I'm extremely skeptical. And it makes me think...if he's suggesting something like this, doesn't that mean he thinks he can't help me??

Sorry for the length and thank you for your time.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Are there any psychiatrists in the area that can be a helpful resource? A relative of mine had a psychiatrist that would do hour-long therapy, but most psychiatrists in the states are not like that. Still, some psychiatrists are excellent at providing emotional support. I had one psychiatrist who was like that who was excellent at being a great listener and giving encouragement and suggestions.

Regarding the "Emotional Freedom Technique," you are right. What makes it unique seems as effective as a placebo:

Emotional Freedom Technique
Emotional Freedom Techniques - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, EFT seems to rely on the person's willingness to believe that it will help...and though I do believe that positive thinking is crucial to any type of recovery, be it physical or mental, I think there is plenty of concrete work to be done.

If I were in an English-speaking country, I would look somebody else up. But this person was the only English-speaker I found in the area. So there's not much I can do...and I confess that I don't feel I have the energy to do another search. That's why I'm not sure if I should stick with this guy or not.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I believe I said before I am not a fan of Jungian psychotherapy. It's a shame there are no other obvious options where you live. I would urge you not to give up on therapy because you are finding this particular therapist unhelpful.

Do you have a family doctor in Switzerland, Blue? Perhaps a doctor or maybe someone at the local hospital or college would have information about psychiatrists or other therapists...

braveheart

I'm surprised that he's not exploring the lostness with you, and helping you feel more grounded and secure and connected.
I am in psychodynamic based psychotherapy, but it's not pure Jungian, Freudian or whatever. And it does include trauma therapy as well as supporting me with developing healthier relationships and inner security.

blue, maybe you could tell him you really don't feel the therapy is working for you, and ask him if he knows of any other english speaking therapists.

the other thing i was wondering, you are in switzerland right now, how long are you there for and i am not sure for your reasons of being there but might it be an option to return home (wherever home is) to get some help there? i know this sounds rather radical but i thought i'd throw it out there.

poss

Hi Blue,

Just wanted to share something with you. I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago. I was living abroad and didn't have much choice of English -speaking therapists so I also ended up with a psychoanalitically oriented one. I stuck with her for a couple of years and never really felt it was helping that much. I can see now that there were a few subtle changes but not much considering the length of time I spent with her. I found her very distant and not willing to negociate what would work best for me, she had a very rigid way of working. Anyway, the therapy ended badly but I won't go into that now and I'm now back home with a much more human therapist. She shows her caring and warmth towards me, which admittedly is causing dependency issues but is far more helpful to me than analysis.

What I wanted to say was that in between these two therapists, I started online therapy and I still have a wonderful online therapist who knows me better than my face to face therapist and who I can bounce things off regarding how my therapy is going. I'm not actually doing therapy with her now as it would interfere with my other therapy but she is always there for me if I need her, at times when my therapist is unavailable or just when I need that bit of extra support. I looked online out of desperation and never believed it could work and be so incredibly helpful. We work through email but she also does live chats if I need to. Maybe that's something you could look into? The website I used to find her was: Kasamba - Expert Advice Online

Perhaps you could get in touch with a few different therapists online before quitting your current therapy to find out if it might be more useful?

Take care and hope things improve for you one way or the other.

Poss

ladylore

Account Closed
Hi Blue,

Just wanted to share something with you. I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago. I was living abroad and didn't have much choice of English -speaking therapists so I also ended up with a psychoanalitically oriented one. I stuck with her for a couple of years and never really felt it was helping that much. I can see now that there were a few subtle changes but not much considering the length of time I spent with her. I found her very distant and not willing to negociate what would work best for me, she had a very rigid way of working. Anyway, the therapy ended badly but I won't go into that now and I'm now back home with a much more human therapist. She shows her caring and warmth towards me, which admittedly is causing dependency issues but is far more helpful to me than analysis.

What I wanted to say was that in between these two therapists, I started online therapy and I still have a wonderful online therapist who knows me better than my face to face therapist and who I can bounce things off regarding how my therapy is going. I'm not actually doing therapy with her now as it would interfere with my other therapy but she is always there for me if I need her, at times when my therapist is unavailable or just when I need that bit of extra support. I looked online out of desperation and never believed it could work and be so incredibly helpful. We work through email but she also does live chats if I need to. Maybe that's something you could look into? The website I used to find her was: Kasamba - Expert Advice Online

Perhaps you could get in touch with a few different therapists online before quitting your current therapy to find out if it might be more useful?

Take care and hope things improve for you one way or the other.

Poss

What a great idea Poss. :2thumbs:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.