More threads by Peanut

Peanut

I went to the doctor today and she presented me with the rest of my options for anxiety medication now that I have discontinued Remeron. She ended up recommending either Wellbutrin or Prozac, and ended up going with Wellbutrin since I have never had any luck with SSRIs (she also mentioned Paxil and I was like NO THANKS!!). So now I have Wellbutrin, Lorazapam, Buspar, Topamax all for daily use and I was wondering if this seemed like a good combo for anxiety? I'm a little concerned because she said I could get amped up but willing to give it a try. It still seems like a lot of medication when the doctor I saw before said I was borderline needing any. I mentioned something to this doctor and she said that anxiety gets worse with time and that is probably what I'm experiencing.

Thanks for any input if anyone has any!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I'm a little concerned because she said I could get amped up but willing to give it a try.

If you do get amped up, it may only be temporary while adjusting to the medication. If I remember correctly, I felt amped on Wellbutrin, with problems sleeping, but not for more than several days. More positively, I was exercising more as a result.

Retired

Have you asked your presciber the reason for the combination of medications you are prescribed?

As lay person, my understanding of combining Wellbutrin with BusPar is that they act on different neurotransmitter systems, so the therapy might be considered adjunctive, while the use of Ativan would be for situational anxiety or panic attacks.

For what indication has the Topomax been prescribed?

Here is some additional information on Drug Interactions:

ALCOHOL may interact with LORAZEPAM (in Ativan)

Although the cause of this potential interaction is not fully understood, intolerable or otherwise undesirable side effects may occur when lorazepam is taken with alcoholic beverages or alcohol-containing products (such as some cough syrups and elixirs). Potential side effects include drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, headache, and nervousness. Because the combination of lorazepam and alcohol (ethanol) may impair your judgment and/or reflexes, it may be dangerous to drive or to perform tasks which require you to be alert after taking these together. It would be advisable to avoid consuming alcohol while you are taking lorazepam. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

BUSPIRONE HYDROCHLORIDE (in BuSpar) may interact with GRAPEFRUIT JUICE

Grapefruit juice may block the breakdown of buspirone by the liver. If this happens, blood levels of buspirone could be increased and this could cause an increase in side effects including drowsiness, dizziness, stomach irritation, and a rapid heartbeat. Avoid taking buspirone with any form of grapefruit, including the actual fruit as well as drinks and nutritional supplements that contain grapefruit juice. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

Source for Interaction Information

Peanut

Thank you both. Your experience is very encouraging Daniel. Exercise is certainly a good side effect. Especially since I have felt too nervous to do much sense stopping the other medication. I would like the energy as long as it's not fidgety nervous energy. I must say that I have taken some and so far it's going well. I'm not having the same intense nervous reaction I had with Lexapro or the run over by a truck feeling I had when starting Remeron so I am encouraged.

Steve, Thank you so much for the information. The topamax was initially prescribed to curb the appetite increase from the remeron, but it helped my tension headaches so i've decided to hang onto it for awhile. She did not want to change any of the other meds while starting the new one to get a clear picture of the effect of the Wellbutrin. I don't think the buspar is doing anything much. The lorazapam is the only thing that has helped me through this and it's to be taken on a daily basis.

I guess so far today I am encouraged because I am still functioning after taking it and feeling pretty good. Sometimes it feels like a lot of medication but hopefully I will get rid of this anxiety someday.

Peanut

I had to come back and say that this Wellbutrin is working GREAT for me already! I slept wonderful and woke up not scared! I have been in the best super good mood and today at work someone who was unaware of the medication situation or any of this said I seem "so much more relaxed now"! This is so wonderful and I am so happy. Good stuff!! Happy ending and new beginnings!!:)

And one more note about the topamax that you asked about Steve, the doctor also said in high doses it can be used as a mood stabilizer and so in lower doses there was a chance it might help take the edge off anxiety.

Retired

the doctor also said in high doses it can be used as a mood stabilizer and so in lower doses there was a chance it might help take the edge off anxiety.

I need to do some research on the use of Topamax as a mood stabilizer.

The manufacturer's Monograph U.S. shows indications as an anticonvulsant as well as for the prophylaxis (prevention) of migraine.

Nevertheless it is not uncommon for a medication to be used "off label" based on the prescriber's clinical experience or published reports of efficacy in other areas.

Perhaps others have more information on how Topomax is used as a mood stabilizer.

Halo

Yes I have taken Topamax for a while as a mood stabilizer. I do find that there isn't much information out there about Topamax used as a mood stabilizer but if you look hard enough there is some.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I can confirm that topamax is frequently used as a mood stabilizer - although some psychiatrists have argued that it isn't effective for that prupose, clinical experience does suggest otherwise.

HA

Hi Peanut,

Welcome to[SIGN]The Bupees[/SIGN]group! I'm glad to hear that Wellbutrin works for you. I find it very helpful for anxiety. My doctor just increased my Wellbutrin XL to the full dose of 300mg /day and added Clonidine (for hot flashes). They work very well together for me and it took a little bit for me to adjust to the dose being doubled. It made me very tired.

Cheers

Last edited:

Peanut

Thank you!:) I can understand getting tired raising the dose. I still am having a great time with this Wellbutrin but I did get sick once after I took it in the morning. However I feel like I am gaining some independence from the ativan and am much happier!

Cheers guys! Thanks!!

Halo

That's great to hear Peanut....except for the part about getting sick.. :yuk: Hope it continues to work for you :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.