More threads by momof5

momof5

Past few days my blood pressure has been runing very low, question is when is low, too low?

85/72, 75/60, 60/55, etc.. in this area with heart rate runing in the 80-90 area

Wow, I've been worried about the opposite lately. Honestly, I have no idea what is too low. You should check with your doctor.

HA

Hello Momof5,

I have always had low blood presure too but not too low and don't know what the range of levels should be. Maybe Thatlady could help us out here. You know....that lady :~}

ThatLady

Normals differ from individual to individual. ;o)

High blood pressure is more commonly a culprit in disease. Anything over 130 systolic and/or 90 diastolic should be watched. Anything over 140 systolic and 100 diastolic should be treated.

However, systolic blood pressures in the 70s and low 80s aren't good. How are you obtaining these blood pressures? Are you taking them yourself, or having them taken? Are you sure the equipment is working properly? Have you felt dizzy or breathless when your blood pressure was this low? Just to be on the safe side, I'd get a doctor to check you out.

The rule of thumb is to treat the patient, not the numbers. If you feel fine with a blood pressure of 92/50, great. However, if you're symptomatic, we've got a problem. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't be symptomatic with a blood pressure in the 70s.

Hope that helps.

momof5

I have a digital blood pressure cuff. It is accurate as it runs in the same area as the drs office cuff. When I am at 104/70 that is the reading they get at the office. So I know its a pretty accurate cuff. Fresh battery.

I had started to monitor it closely as I was feeling dizzy and light headed when standing up. I do suffer anxiety attacks, and am on medication for this as needed.

I am under a good deal of stress right now. With my husband drinking, him and my youngest always going at it, and my next to the oldest always fighting, and my newly married daughter just confided something in me about her husband with the promise of not telling. So, could this all just be acting in a reverse pattern reaction to stress with my tendancy to have low blood pressure?

I did suffer a mild heart failure in dec 03/jan/04 that they never pin pointed the cause of. I don't, however think any of this is related to that. (arteries are clear, nothing is clogged) I'm going to keep a close eye on it, and if it continues in this pattern this week, I will call the drs office.

ThatLady

The dizzy, weak feeling when you stand up is probably caused by the low blood pressure, hon. Your pressure is unable to adjust fast enough when you change positions. You really do need to get this checked out, since you ARE sypmtomatic.

It's impossible to know what's causing your blood pressure to drop so low without a full workup by a physician.

momof5

ThatLady said:
The dizzy, weak feeling when you stand up is probably caused by the low blood pressure, hon. Your pressure is unable to adjust fast enough when you change positions. You really do need to get this checked out, since you ARE sypmtomatic.

It's impossible to know what's causing your blood pressure to drop so low without a full workup by a physician.

lol, I chuckle at the word symptomatic. So many things going on that i hate to call due to hating to feel hypcondriatic (is that a word?)

Today its averaging 99/71. heart rate this morning was 54? which is terribly low for me. now its 98, which is a tad up for me. In a way I am bouncing all over the place right now. I also have a slight bladder infection, which I seem to frequently get. Comes and goes. I am increasing fluids.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It may be more than fluids, though, Deb... something seems awry with your metabolites or something.

Now stop putting it off and call your doctor. Your kids would like you to hang around for a few more years (well, except on Friday date nights).

HA

Momof5,

Please go ASAP just be sure that there is nothing that needs to be medically treated. It's not good to asume that we know that our body is fine when it is telling you that something is wrong.

At one time I walked about a city block on a slight upgrade to the streetcar and I had to stop to catch my breath. I was literaly huffing and puffing and my legs hurt. I thought it was due to the weight I gained from quitting smoking. That was another thing...I was really ticked off that I no longer smoked and was far more out of breath and shape than when I smoked. I just happended to be due for a physical and complained about this and my doctor put me through every test known to man I think. The results were that I was very anemic. I had no red blood cells carrying oxygen to my muscles etc.

I could have gone on to become very ill if I had just continued to assume it was my weight or that age had caught up to me or it was just a by product of stress.

Good luck

momof5

Ok, I'll call doc's office today when they open.

You do know, its like the baby with the fever, when you get there the fever is gone? thing. That is what worries me, and then I worry he won't believe that its happening.

Oh, and heartart, am working on quiting smoking, down to 2 smokes a day right now. These are the hardest two to nix for some reason. Not sure why. I had the flue a few weeks ago, and from not smoking the house had this so stale smoke smell, and I kept thinking, grosss, is this what my kids have to put up with? I was determined to stop right then and there. That was my stoping point. Now my husband and my son have to smoke outside. I hope it helps them to stop as well.

momof5

I have an appt scheduled on thursday, unless one opens before hand, they have me put in for an opening.

today it was pretty low again. This does have me concerned.

I recently started topamax for migraines. Wondering if this could cause this sort of reaction? Of which I hope not as I have only had one severe headache that required an icepack. Any other headache has just been an annoyance. Though, if I had to go back to the headaches, I guess I have to right? Not sure which is the worser of these two evils.

Just sitting on the front step, thinking, My uhmm, young age of 29, what is my life going to be like when I am an elderly person? Sad thought to say the least :>(

Sort of feeling down, and I have my first for pay web page to do. Rush page, needed by tomorrow not even started it yet? heavy sigh.

I'm glad you made an appointment. I hope they can figure out what is causing this.

I wonder too, about the new medication.

I also worry about doctors not believing me.

Sorry that you're feeling down.

momof5

Hi Janetr.
Would you believe my husband actually asked if he could be causing this?!. I told him that the stress of his drinking sure doesn't help matters any, and his un necessary fighting with my youngest doesn't either.

All I can do is hope and pray that Doc is his usual understanding believing self on thursday, or maybe I get lucky and get one before hand. I would be surprised if I didn't recieve a phone call from him tonight. I shouldn't worry about him not believeing me, but I do, so I understand how you feel as well. It just seems that sometimes there is just so much going on at once. How do they sepearte it all. Figure it all out? It took them 2 years to diagnoise the heart failure. I don't blame them though. They just have so much to sort through, they need a medal for courage! ;>)

I had told my pryer group, that I actually wished he woudl put me in the hospital right now, just for a few days. A kind of vacation from the stress around here. Let them all fend for themselves for a while. Well, actually, the kids are good, I shouldn't do that to them. They are good to me and I value them so much. And love them more then life.

I hope you are doing better. Many prayers are being said for you!

HA

Well, Deb. Just because you have other problems does not mean that you can't have a new one come up. You have low blood pressure and the reason we have doctors is to tell us why and what to do about such things.

Hope you started your first job at web page design by now. Twenty nine huh, you are just a young duck. :~}

momof5

Hope you started your first job at web page design by now. Twenty nine huh, you are just a young duck. :~}
Uhmm that is eternally 29 ;>)

quack quack lol.

Oh started the page! And it feels good to work, and work out the problems, lol. Then find out that the problems are because you aren't really watching the code properly? lol.

HA

Did you get your web page done by deadline, Deb?

Oh and by the way, Congratulations on your smoking reduction and changing your smoking patterns for better health. It's hard to quit while you are under stress but for me, the stress will always be there so I just picked a date and started a plan and have not looked back since.

momof5

Hi heartArt, started the page, was up till two am the first night on it. most of it accomplished, now i have not heard back from the client on adjustments. AFTER rushing it? HELP need this done? ARGH! I guess this is something you need to get used to, lol. It did turn out pretty good. Its for a lawyer. Guess they are in court or something. lol. ;>)

You are right about the stress and quiting smoking. It will always be here, so no matter what. I should just do it. And that is what I am attempting to do. 2-3 a day isnt' bad. so far I usually have one by now, and I have not had any. So that is even better. I"m chewing gum right now. sugar free of course. The kids are happy about it. And are happy I am making the others smoke outside. lol. I got new curtains for the kitchen last night, lol, but now I have to find the energy to clean the windows! I even bought spider spray to get rid of the spiders, it lasts for four months. no pesty little things on my sills for a while. despise those critters. Get chills when I see them.

momof5

Update here,
Saw dr yesterday, he is taking me of the altace, and the bloodpressure medication whic was suppsoe do lower my heart rate, which does have me concnered. this was the medication that they put me on after my heart failure.

I am following the docs advice, I go back in two weeks I monitor my vitals daily, in fact I shal do so 3x's a day. He suspects the increase in loss of balance is due to the blood pressure, and is very concerned right now.

I am to increase my intake of salt. Not sure what else to update,

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.