More threads by pops12

pops12

About 3-4 weeks ago I had my first panic attack. It happened at night when I was in bed and it scared me to death. After that I started worrying a lot, I was so stressed out I couldn't even stand it. It got to the point where I was worried about every little thing that I felt. And then about a week after the panic attack I got this lump feeling in my throat. It's not a lump you can feel by touching the throat. It comes and goes depending on how I am feeling, and I do not have trouble swallowing food. But it is difficult sometimes to swallow saliva. Usually when I am really stressed out or worried the symptom gets worse.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Yes, anxiety can do that. "Lump in the throat feeling" is a symptom listed under Generalized Anxiety Disorder at: Healthgrades Health Library

As you probably know, many psych meds can cause dry mouth, which may also contribute to the problem. I had a sore throat feeling when I was most anxious 10 years ago, and I don't remember if it was my own anxiety or the meds that contributed most to the sore throat sensation.

Besides dealing with the anxiety, throat spray and lozenges helped a lot.

You may find more suggestions at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?ie=UTF-8&q=lump+throat+anxiety

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
One thing my mom used to do to counter the effects of medications for asthma was to keep a small glass of crushed ice / ice chips nearby and suck on a small piece of ice.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The use of crushed ice sounds like a great suggestion. I would also use this as an excuse to buy (or make) popsicles. My favorite popsicles are made of fruit juice with no sugar added.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.