More threads by David Baxter PhD

Retired

Re: Do the Rules Apply to Dr. Phil?

He barely qualifies as an entertainer

Ouch!

He does seem to be a successful self-promoter having Oprah's support who put him on the map and frequent appearances on Larry King.

I do recall a media psychologist, Dr. Joy Browne who seemed to have more credibility and respect for ethics.

Anyone ever hear her programs?

Retired

I used to enjoy listening to Dr. Joy Browne in traffic

Now that's a coincidence, that's how I listened to her too! The thing that impressed me was a number of times she received calls from people who were clearly suicidal, and she put her program on hold while she did a private intevention.

As a side note, I found her voice an her inflections fascinating. She had a young girl's sound to her voice, but she was, in fact, a middle aged lady.

She did not look like I imagined her to look, when I finally saw her on TV though.

Thanks for the link, Daniel!

Halo

Yes Daniel thank you for the link :)

I had never heard of Dr. Joy Browne until now and just had a listen and it is great what she is doing. I find her fascinating to listen to.

Steve, I agree that there is something about her voice....to me it is very calming.

Retired

Since we're reaching back into the annals of media psychologists, anyone remember Dr. Susan Forward?

Retired

Completely forgot about her. I wonder if she's still among us.

The one who amazes me that she has the popularity she does is the woman from Toronto who is syndicated across the U.S.

lallieth

How about Dr Joyce Brothers..anyone remember her?

Joyce Brothers
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Joyce Brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joyce Brothers, PhD (born October 20, 1928 or 1929[1]) is an American psychologist and advice columnist, publishing a daily syndicated newspaper column since 1960.

More

Leo F Buscaglia, Ph.D.-He may not have been a therapist,but he wrote some amazing books.My fav is "Bus 9 to Paradise"

Retired

I am so old that I remember Dr. Joyce Brothers' debut on the scene as a contestant on the $64,000 Question!

Anybody else remember that show?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.