More threads by sister-ray

I just wanted to ask what kinds of music helped the members here relax? I find things like Mike Oldfield/Terry Oldfield, Enya, and Vanglelis good. Instrumental is better than lyrics with one exception for me and thats Eno, his lyrics on some tracks are very simple and uncomplicated, my favourite is his 'Another green world' LP/CD. Also some of Mobys instrumentals, like "Everloving", "Guitar,flute and string" and My weakness" I also a compliation of "New world music" and one called"Spirit of the east", I find both these helpful too. I look forward to reading peoples likes on this because if I see something new and I can buy it here I will give it a try. Thanks.

I just wanted to ask what kinds of music helped the members here relax? I find things like Mike Oldfield/Terry Oldfield, Enya, and Vanglelis good. Instrumental is better than lyrics with one exception for me and thats Eno, his lyrics on some tracks are very simple and uncomplicated, my favourite is his 'Another green world' LP/CD. Also some of Mobys instrumentals, like "Everloving", "Guitar,flute and string" and My weakness" I also a compliation of "New world music" and one called"Spirit of the east", I find both these helpful too. I look forward to reading peoples likes on this because if I see something new and I can buy it here I will give it a try. Thanks.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have always used music to help me relax, work through feelings, etc., from about age 7 or 8 or 9 and certainly all through adolescence and my 20s -- listening to music, playing music, writing music.

What I listen to or play depends on my mood at the time. When I am stressed or anxious, some days even heavy metal can take me out of it, although I'll admit it's likely to be something a little more gentle -- Beethoven or Sibelius or some of Mozart, possibly, or "folky" acoustic guitar music. Often, female singers when I'm feeling jangled tend to be more relaxing than male singers for some reason...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have always used music to help me relax, work through feelings, etc., from about age 7 or 8 or 9 and certainly all through adolescence and my 20s -- listening to music, playing music, writing music.

What I listen to or play depends on my mood at the time. When I am stressed or anxious, some days even heavy metal can take me out of it, although I'll admit it's likely to be something a little more gentle -- Beethoven or Sibelius or some of Mozart, possibly, or "folky" acoustic guitar music. Often, female singers when I'm feeling jangled tend to be more relaxing than male singers for some reason...

ThatLady

Mostly, I prefer classical and semi-classical. Mozart, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Paganini are very relaxing for me. I also like Enyo and Celtic music for relaxing.

As David said, much depends on the mood I'm in. I adore the Moody Blues and I'm not averse to a bit of Uriah Heep, on occasion.

ThatLady

Mostly, I prefer classical and semi-classical. Mozart, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Paganini are very relaxing for me. I also like Enyo and Celtic music for relaxing.

As David said, much depends on the mood I'm in. I adore the Moody Blues and I'm not averse to a bit of Uriah Heep, on occasion.

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
I'm a classical music fan, too. For relaxation I'm partial to a bit of Beethoven or some Faure. I was quite amused with myself yesterday actually, I was at uni working to a deadline and I got the Dies Irae from Mozart's requiem stuck in my head. It was great, it made me work with much more speed and enthusiasm! It's amazing how much music can affect mood :)

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
I'm a classical music fan, too. For relaxation I'm partial to a bit of Beethoven or some Faure. I was quite amused with myself yesterday actually, I was at uni working to a deadline and I got the Dies Irae from Mozart's requiem stuck in my head. It was great, it made me work with much more speed and enthusiasm! It's amazing how much music can affect mood :)

Eunoia

I think it totally depends on my mood.. like whether you're just mellowing and hanging out or having a bad day... I've always loved Sarah McLachlan and I think there's a lot of folk music out there that's really great! Whatever works for you I guess! I don't really try to stick to one particular kind of music, I find if you're open about listening to new/different types or music you'l never know what you'll find. There's also some great stores that are still really old school and have a much greater variety in terms of music than the mass cd/electronic stores... and coffee shops sometimes feature amazing new talents!!

Eunoia

I think it totally depends on my mood.. like whether you're just mellowing and hanging out or having a bad day... I've always loved Sarah McLachlan and I think there's a lot of folk music out there that's really great! Whatever works for you I guess! I don't really try to stick to one particular kind of music, I find if you're open about listening to new/different types or music you'l never know what you'll find. There's also some great stores that are still really old school and have a much greater variety in terms of music than the mass cd/electronic stores... and coffee shops sometimes feature amazing new talents!!

Retired

The mood I'm in and what I am doing usually determines my choice of music.

I recently recovered my collection of cassette tapes, which I made from my vinyl collection...anyone remember LP's???

Well I transferred the cassettes to digital using Nero Wave Editor ( a very effective tool for the purpose) I had forgotten how good Neil Diamond sounded, and find myself listening to the original Hot August Night.

When I am stressed or anxious, some days even heavy metal can take me out of it

I'm having difficulty getting my mind around that concept {LOL} Probably a reflection of my age {G}

Retired

The mood I'm in and what I am doing usually determines my choice of music.

I recently recovered my collection of cassette tapes, which I made from my vinyl collection...anyone remember LP's???

Well I transferred the cassettes to digital using Nero Wave Editor ( a very effective tool for the purpose) I had forgotten how good Neil Diamond sounded, and find myself listening to the original Hot August Night.

When I am stressed or anxious, some days even heavy metal can take me out of it

I'm having difficulty getting my mind around that concept {LOL} Probably a reflection of my age {G}

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I still have probably 200+ LPs and a turntable. Some of those recordings haven't been released on CD, especially von Karajan's recordings of the Beethoven sumphonies from the 1950s or early 1960s. Later in his career, he recorded the set again and that's the version that's available on CD - but to my ears the set recorded earlier in his career was superior.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I still have probably 200+ LPs and a turntable. Some of those recordings haven't been released on CD, especially von Karajan's recordings of the Beethoven sumphonies from the 1950s or early 1960s. Later in his career, he recorded the set again and that's the version that's available on CD - but to my ears the set recorded earlier in his career was superior.

I love the covers on the old L.P's. You always got the lyrics on a seperate sheet and the writing was big enough to read, unlike CD's!! Very often you would get free posters or stickers, anyone remember what was free with Alice Coopers Schools Out LP?? lol I've about 150 L.Ps, 250 singles/45s and a few EPs/12inch I think I even got a couple of 78 somewhere too!! CD's lack individuality....

I love the covers on the old L.P's. You always got the lyrics on a seperate sheet and the writing was big enough to read, unlike CD's!! Very often you would get free posters or stickers, anyone remember what was free with Alice Coopers Schools Out LP?? lol I've about 150 L.Ps, 250 singles/45s and a few EPs/12inch I think I even got a couple of 78 somewhere too!! CD's lack individuality....

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yeah... Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones covers used to have things like rotating wheels or a zipper...

Plus some of that art work was amazing.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yeah... Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones covers used to have things like rotating wheels or a zipper...

Plus some of that art work was amazing.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.