More threads by Darkside

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I would suggest that she speak with the college admissions department of the school she wishes to attend. They would be able to advise her on the courses and marks she needs to ensure her enrollment.

PrincessX

Account Closed
Hey Darkside :). Sorry to hear she is still having problems. Did you guys try homeschooling at all or just time off school? Is she more a type of an idependent learner or she likes to be in a class?
:coffee: I am so disappointed with the school system myself. I do not agree the children need to go through all this violence and abuse to "toughen up". This does not sound right to me.

---------- Post Merged at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Here the college has courses that a person can take to upgrade themselves so they can get into any college they wish Perhaps you daughter can take these courses first at the college she chooses then move on to her chose of career Get her to look into that ok
This is always an option, but a little bit longer and more expensive way to go. :think:

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
L
:coffee: I am so disappointed with the school system myself. I do not agree the children need to go through all this violence and abuse to "toughen up". This does not sound right to me.
I don't know of anyone who works inside or outside of a school system that says children need to tolerate bullying to toughen up. I work in a high school and those types of actions would not be condoned within our building. I really think that is an old school mentality or generalization that no longer applies in this day and age.

Retired

Darkside,

You may be interested in listening in on the following online webinar:

Bullying and Vulnerable Populations

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM EST

The webinar is sponsored by the New Jersey Center for Tourette syndrome, but I think there might be sufficient general information presented that you may find it informative for your daughter's situation.

Complete details for about New Jersey Center For Tourette Syndrome webinars, system requirements, codec download etc.

There is no charge to attend a New Jersey Center for Tourette Syndrome & Associated Disorders (NJCTS) Wednesday Webinar.

PrincessX

Account Closed
L
I don't know of anyone who works inside or outside of a school system that says children need to tolerate bullying to toughen up. I work in a high school and those types of actions would not be condoned within our building. I really think that is an old school mentality or generalization that no longer applies in this day and age.

Hi rdw, I do not know details about the actions against Darkside's daughter. But, speaking as a parent, who had considered home schooling, one of my concerns was that the children do not grow up in a "real" environment, because they are kind of "isolated from peers" at home. And I thought they do not learn to deal with negative situations. I soon realized, that negative experiences are not needed for one to develop their social skills or personality. It is not really old mentality, more of a realization. Some schools are better than others. They have the anty-bullying propaganda and policies now everywhere.

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
A "real environment " means learning to adapt and communicate - it does not mean tolerating bullying.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.