More threads by ShyLady

ShyLady

and we took her to see the local psyciatrist, and they let her see a doctor who gave her Risperdal, 1 mg. She began to take it but wasn't doing any good in the mornings, so the doctor told us to half the pills up and give her half in the morning and the other half at night.

She said that she had heard voices that told her to kill us when she was very angry. With the medicen she says that she doesn't hear the voices anymore. I am worried about her because she is kinda violent with us. We bought her a hand held game and she get very angry at that game and she goes off on my husband and I and my 18 year old daughter as well. I think the game has some effects on her mentally, maybe, but she will fight us if we try and take it away from her. We have lost some control over her. She hits her 18 year old sister, and she has thrown things at me, she kicks my husband between his legs.

I'm not sure whats wrong with her she wont talk to me. She does appolagize to us all the time when she is over her mad spell. My husband will not stop spoiling her. He waits on her hand and foot. She is very much a daddies girl, and says when she gets married she taking her dad with her.

I feel like she could very well turn violent. She has two step brothers on prison for violence, one for killing his foster mother when he was 15 years old. She tells me she doesn't want to do the things she does but she can't help it. Actually, I was the same way on cussing my parents out and I would fight them to at times. But I stopped it long ago. But some of my brothers and sisters never stopped it.

I don't understand how it all started but I would love to help her through it and try to find out if I can help her over come this problem. I would like to see if anyone might have any ideas of what I could do.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: My Daughter Sonja Was Hearing Voices,

You've already done the best thing you could do, Shylady, which is to have her evaluated by a psychiatrist.

The next step is to request a meeting with the psychiatrist to get his/her advice on how to best manage and react to her behavior at home. If the psychiatrist doesn't offer psychotherapy or counselling, ask for a referral to a child psychologist (please note that child psychology or child psychiatry requires different training and approaches than psychotherapy for teens or adults so make sure you specify that you want a therapist who is trained in child psychology).

Misha

Having been on the daughter side of this issue, just make sure she knows that you love her. That may sound trite, but its the best advice I can give. It seems that she is fighting the thoughts and being co-operative with treatment, so remind yourself that she is trying - for you. When I have struggles they often manifest themselves in behaviours that threaten the emotional stability of my family. And it kills me to see that. That is my motivation for recovery. Your daughter is trying, and that is a sign that she cares very deeply for you even if she is angry and confused. The more loved and "safe" she feels being honest, the more she will keep fighting the negative.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.