More threads by onlyiknow75

Hi. my friend cuts herself but she never tries to hide it (never wears long sleeve shirts) and so i dont know whats going on. she has all these cuts on her left arm which look pretty new and faded ones on her right arm.. and she even carved a star on to her left wrist.. i dont know if she's doing this because shes depressed or just because she likes it.. shes always so happy and stuff.. so i dont know. should i talk to her about it? thanks!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
my friend cuts...HELP

I have been hearing recently up here in Canada about a new and I think dangerous fad among certain groups of teens which involves cutting, not for the reasons "true cutters" do it but because it is considered cool. I guess it's seen as sort of an extension of tatoos and body-piercing...

Your friend may be among that group, rather than someone who is cutting to get rid of pent-up anger or other suppressed feelings. Of course, the fact that she seems happy may be an illusion -- many people are quite good at hiding their feelings from others, even people quite close to them.

If you are concerned about her, and you feel you have a close enough relationship with her to ask a personal question of that nature, I would think there's no harm in asking the question. If she brushes your question away, don't push it.

Similar threads

Canadian Tire- Eton Solar/Crank Radio :)
Replies
Views
People’s Best Friend by Bruce Roney, Ottawa Humane Society Sept 2, 2021 When you hear “service dog” what do you think of? I imagine a guide dog helping his owner safely navigate a busy intersection, or those ubiquitous plastic dogs in supermarkets accepting change to support Canadian Guide Dogs for the Blind. But in reality, service dogs fill many roles — some of which may surprise you. Hearing dogs assist people who are deaf or have auditory impairment. These dogs alert their owners to...
Replies
Views
Yes exactly. We already have way too many abandoned cats and dogs on the streets. We don't need any more temporary pet owners.
Replies
Views
My bud read the post and comments and replied last night. I then asked if he had any objection to me posting his response as it was quite touching. He told me if that is what I wanted to do then he has no objection. The reason I felt it important to share it is that I, just like many of us that have "issues", often feel like I'm only a burden on my friends. But I guess a true friend seems to have the ability to see us beyond more than our issues. Here was his response after reading the...
Replies
Views
Since I've been on Facebook, I've also recontacted friends, people I went to school with or worked with in the past, some that I hadn't heard from in many years. I've learned to like that part of it as well.
Replies
Views