More threads by Daffodil

Daffodil

Okay, so I went to my MD and related what was going on with my therapist ( without giving too much detail). In my meeting with my MD he didn't say much, then when I left he called and his office said he left a note on my file that he wants to put in a complaint about my therapist and he wants me to book an appointment to discuss if there is reasonable grounds. I was very upset when I got this message, as I have just left the therapist's office, after a particularly (rare but) good session. I know my MD senses that my therapist has crossed the line but I do not want him to report him. I am not ready yet, so I am planning to go and tell my MD that I exaggerated or some such half truth to prevent him from going forward with the complaint .

Do you think this will work? I don't think so. I think he will see right through me. What if I tell him I am going to put in a complaint myself. Do you think he will not put in a complaint? OMG I think I have opened Pandora's box here. And I am still seeing the therapist.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You have provided your physician with information about misconduct on the part of another physician. He has an ethical obligation to report this if he finds the information to be credible, and if he fails to report it his/her own license to practice may be jeopardized.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
One way to help deal with such anxiety/concern is to try (or to continue to try) -- even for a just a few moments a day -- to want a good outcome more for others than for yourself. In other words, to sometimes dial down what you think is in your own best interests -- which may not be the case, anyway. It's a well-known paradox that by focusing on others (or on anything else outside of oneself -- like even art), one can feel better about one's own insecurities/fears.

Daffodil

One way to help deal with such anxiety/concern is to try (or to continue to try) -- even for a just a few moments a day -- to want a good outcome more for others than for yourself. It's a well-known paradox that by focusing on others, one can feel better about one's own insecurities.

Well, what if I am wrong and I have ruined a good man's reputation? How can I live with myself after that?

I am obviously a no good idiot. Can't make anything work. Getting into trouble with my therapist. Who even gets into trouble with their therapist? This sucks.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

At least I have made the step to see another therapist. Step one completed. Cancelled my two appointments for next week with old therapist (lied about reason for cancelling by the way, don't want him to think I am quitting him). Anyways, I feel a weight off my shoulder. This is a big step, and ALL my friends have been advising me for over TWO years to do this. I am PROUD of myself for taking this step.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Well, what if I am wrong and I have ruined a good man's reputation?

When reporting someone, you only have to report facts. You don't have to make any judgements. You can leave such judgements for other people to decide.

attical

In order for the therapist to be disciplined, there needs to be a complaint with the College. The College will then consider a hearing, and you will be asked to appear at that hearing. If you don't, there is no hearing. Your family doctor's comments are only hearsay.

From personal experience, the College protects its own, often to the detriment of patients.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
In order for the therapist to be disciplined, there needs to be a complaint with the College. The College will then consider a hearing, and you will be asked to appear at that hearing. If you don't, there is no hearing. Your family doctor's comments are only hearsay.

From personal experience, the College protects its own, often to the detriment of patients.

That's not entirely accurate. First, it would be rare for a College to ask the patient/client to appear, especially in a case of this nature. The patient/client would be asked to submit testimony in writing to substantiate the complaint and the College would investigate based on that "affidavit".

Second, the family doctor may make a complaint (and may be required to make a complaint) based on verbal reports from a patient. The College would then pursue the complaint by requesting further information from the patient or others, as outlined above.

And third, a Regulatory College is not like a professional association. It's role is to ensure the protection of the public in a number of ways, including judging professional competence of licensed practitioners and investigating complaints from patients or clients. The College acts on behalf of the PUBLIC, not the licensed practitioner.

You have done all the right things here Daffodil You cancelled you appt with old therapist you reported him to your MD You should be so proud of you hun You are keeping yourself safe and others safe so know that you have done all the right moves okay NOw when you go to your new therapist you get this new therapist to help you cope okay with the stress you are under. Good for you hun It takes courage to do what you have done way to go.

Daffodil

Okay, so this is exactly why I was scared of going through with the complaint . The complaint to my knowledge has not been put in yet - but it will be once my family doc sees in the near future ( have appointment set up for that). What consequences am to expect in terms of " the college protects their own to the detriment of the patient?"

As I may have stated earlier, I feel this doctor will turn every thing around and put it on me. He has a skillful way with words.

Also, another concern, is the college will collect my file from him? Is that correct? So they will see everything that's in my file from therapy?

What has been your experience attical? I would like to chat with someone who had a similar experience., Do you mind sending me a private message,.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

That's not entirely accurate. First, it would be rare for a College to ask the patient/client to appear, especially in a case of this nature. The patient/client would be asked to submit testimony in writing to substantiate the complaint and the College would investigate based on that "affidavit".

Second, the family doctor may make a complaint (and may be required to make a complaint) based on verbal reports from a patient. The College would then pursue the complaint by requesting further information from the patient or others, as outlined above.

And third, a Regulatory College is not like a professional association. It's role is to ensure the protection of the public in a number of ways, including judging professional competence of licensed practitioners and investigating complaints from patients or clients. The College acts on behalf of the PUBLIC, not the licensed practitioner.

I am glad they have an "affidavit" process, because I am going to be telling the truth, and my word is my bond

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.