More threads by Hunter

Hunter

So my government therapist funding is ending in August. I am terrified because I have made so much progress with him the last 2 years. I really liked him as a therapist. The thought of him not helping me anymore just hurts... Personally and therapeutically. It's causing me such stress.
It was a professional relationship but we got to share personal things.... More so on my part. I am having sleepless nights. Thinking I'm not going to have him. And I know that I have relied on him too much. I really wish I hadn't not depended on him so much.

So not sure what to do. My disability from my motor vehicle accident won't cover his $140 per hour rates. In the past he gave me some free sessions and said this could happen, but I would feel like a loser not paying him for his services.

So feeling pretty emotionally down right now.

This week I've not slept in 3 days the flashbacks and nightmares have been horrifying. After our session he had me feeling normal not in a crisis like when I first seen him. He makes me feel normal.. Not having experienced complex traumas for 35 years. He just makes me feel safe. And his office is my safe place.

He says he's going on holidays for 3 weeks but text him if I need him. I won't bother him.. I've never done this when he's been on holidays... But that the great caring therapist that he is.
I fear my life is going to take a downward spiral.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I have done some group therapy this year via Zoom, and it was as helpful as anything else:

Sorry to hear that Hunter. You have developed a really supportive relationship with your therapist and it would hurt for that to be ending outside of your choice.

Two things come to mind:
1) whether it's possible to afford if you see him less frequently (maybe supplemented by a different service if you can find one),
2) the fact that you were able to develop this kind of relationship with one therapist theoretically means that it is possible for you to develop similar ones with other therapists or maybe even other supportive people in your life. It won't be exactly the same but some of the 'safe' feeling you get in his office is also coming from within you.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Is there something you were already planning on doing anyway? Like a goal for therapy? Or something for self-care?

You have developed a really supportive relationship with your therapist
To me, Hunter, that would be another reason to start something new/supplemental sooner than later while you are still seeing your therapist more frequently. When I started group therapy, I was seeing my therapist twice a week.

As you know, for PTSD, a bottom-up (somatic/body-based) aproach is often recommended in addition to cognitive approaches. The same is true of my anxiety. So I did benefit from tai chi classes that I took earlier this year (before the summer when I have lots of outdoor chicken chores).

Another thing that helped me was just going out more often, even just for coffee. It keeps my comfort zone more open. And I love bibliotherapy and psychology in general. I will probably die with a book/tablet in my hands :)

He says he's going on holidays for 3 weeks but text him if I need him. I won't bother him..
"For some, the separation is a golden opportunity, a moment to try out what they've learned in therapy. For others, separation is a rainy day: just something to get through."

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.