More threads by Peanut

Peanut

Well, my anxiety is getting really bad.? I have struggled with it for a long time but this is possibly one of the worst times because I am getting panicky feelings a lot.? My therapist wanted me to see a psychiatrist for medication but I have already consulted with one and didn't have many options that were suitable for me, as I am really sensitive to side effects.?

My question is, will I be able to ride out this severe anxiety and return to a lower anxiety level without medication?? I really don't want to start messing around with those SSRIs again...but I'm getting kind of scared because the anxiety is getting worse.? It feels like it is starting to lead up to a panic attack, and it's pretty much getting more pervasive (like non-situation specific).?

I don't know what to do about this.? I feel really stuck and really scared....is there any chance of being able to cope with this on my own w/o medication, or will it just keep getting worse?? My preference would be to stay off of medication if? at all possible.

I don't know what to do.? I can't eat or anything, it's really hard. :cry:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
There are alternatives other than SSRIs for anxiety, depending on the type of anxiety and your medical history, including newer low-dose tranquilizers such as lorazepam (Ativan) and clonazepam, buspirone (BuSpar), and even beta-blockers (primarily for panic attacks).

Maybe it's time to go back to your doctor and push a little for some alternate suggestions.

Peanut

oh ok :cry: Thanks

I think I'll be ok on my own. I don't really have anyone to talk to about options. Is it possible that this will get better on it's own? I was completely off all medication for 6 years and I was alright. Can't I go back to that? I do have Ativan but I didn't think that I was supposed to be taking it on a daily basis, so I stopped taking it a couple of days ago and unfortunately got so anxious again today that I had to take it. It's very discouraging. I was trying to take steps in the right directions and I feel like I went backward again.

I guess what I want to know is if there is any way that psychotherapy alone can help this?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Possibly. There are different types of anxiety with different intensity/severity and patterns so it's difficult to say. However, if you have Ativan and your anxiety is high now, take it.

Psychotherapy could definitely help - whether it would be enough on it's own, at least in the beginning, I don't know.

Peanut

Ok I did take it. So is my approach of stopping the ativan and just riding out the severe anxiety not a good one?

I can tell that this level of anxiety is not good for me physically, it feels like the insides of my stomach are getting ground up into hamburger.

Alternatively, I feel fine when I take the Ativan...I am just trying not to become dependent on it and bring on even more anxiety if I stop taking it (and I'm trying to figure out if that is what is happening right now). And I've heard (from my therapist) that it can stop working if you take it regularly and that is the other thing that I am scared about.

Thanks Dr. B....I really needed and appreciate the advice. Now I'm not as upset with myself for taking some today.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't think you should be in a hurry to stop taking the Ativan, first of all. And with anxiety disorders, I personally don't have a lot of faith in the "ride it out" approach - most of the time all that does is create more anxiety and then anxiety about the anxiety.

Developing tolerance can happen with some people but it doesn't always - it depends on how much you take, for one thing, and how regularly and for how long, but it certainly isn't an inevitable result at all.

Peanut

OK, good, thank you, that is what I wanted to know. ?I feel less anxious already, knowing that I don't have to stop taking that medication right away. ?Maybe my goal should be to improve other areas in my life first before trying to stop taking it. ?Stopping for those two days really seemed to backfire on me and set me back a lot.

Thank you so much.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
When you stop Ativan suddenly without tapering off, you're likely to get a rebound in anxiety, shooting you above your normal level for a while - that may well have been why today was so bad.

Rosa

good luck toeless,,,,let us know how you do. I take Klonopin waffers-there are wonderful. They melt in your mouth for near instant relief and they taste good too.. . heeheehee
Be well
Rosa

Holly

Good Wishes to you Toeless,
I hope you feel better soon, maybe it is with school finishing up, I remember so many different feeling with school and exams!
Take care of you!! :) ;)

Peanut

Hey Rosa and Holly--Thanks for writing guys, that was really nice. I have decided to just tough it out through the anxiety instead of getting long term medication. I have the Ativan but I am only taking it when I actually have to GIVE a speech. It was kind of nice today because when I went to the psychologist medication came up (in relation to something else) and I told him that I didn't want to take any and he said "then don't" and it was really nice to hear that he was understanding where I was coming from. Apparently he said that we could just address it through a more behavioral approach.

My psychologist is really pushing for me to give my last speech without any Ativan or anything...I'm not quite sure what he's trying to do to me :eek:

I think he wants me to stop controlling my own medication, etc...but personally I think I do a better job than the doctors...

but of course that's just my opinion :)

Thanks again guys it was nice to be able to talk about it.

Peanut

Do you mean without the Ativan? I don't know if I should even attempt it. I was going to last time and chickened out at the last minute.

Holly

Hi Toeless,
I mean your do great with the speech, you do what feels right for you.
I use to practise in front of the mirror, :yikes: so believe me your do great! ;)
take care :) Have a great week!

just mary

Hey Toeless,

Whether or not you take the Ativan is up to you. But I do remember when you posted about another speech you had to give. You sounded like you worked so hard on it and in the end you did it! If you had an Ativan before that speech or not (and you don't have to tell me if you did) , it doesn't really matter, you did it and it went well. There is only so much a pill can do for you, you did the speech not the Ativan. Go Toeless!!! :)

Note: I guess I should add a disclaimer in that I've never taken an Ativan before so I don't know it's effects. :red:

Bye for now,

Peanut

Thanks. I don't know if I'll do great but I'll do it...

I am curious if anyone has an opinion on whether I should try it w/o or not? I'm really up in the air about it.

:eek:fftopic:Also if anyone has any persuasive speech ideas...suddenly I can't think of anything controversial and I need to figure out a topic like yesterday...I thought a psychology one would be interesting but I can't think of anything that grabs me (just because the pressure is on I'm sure).

Well either way, thanks for answering it is nice to be able to release this speech thing...I almost brought it up in therapy but I really didn't see the point of letting school eat up my entire session. I mean my therapist can't do my homework for me...

Peanut

Hi Mary--I typed that before I saw you're reply! I have taken Ativan for all of my other speeches. The last one I took less and none in preparation though--so I'm decreasing. I did just get the results back on my last speech...it was a cultural informative and I did it on The Rainbow Family. It was kind of fun. The teacher said I got a lot better by the end of the speech but she couldn't tell if it was because I was relaxing more or I just liked the part of my speech that had to do with the big Rainbow Gathering (parties) they have... :confused:

Thanks for your compliments though...I guess that's what I don't really get if I should not take it when taking it would make it much easier. Why torture myself if there is no point...but if there really is a point then I could probably do it. I dont' know what to do but the lack of a speech topic is the worst part.

Oh well..sorry to bother you guys with these trivial problems. They are just starting to really stress me out. :panic:

I tell you, if it's not one thing it's another :panic:

ThatLady

There's a lot of controversy at the moment over the increasing use of medications in school children. Lots of fodder available on which to build a speech. Some seem to think that medications are being used to control the children so the teachers/parents don't have to. Others feel the kids are ADD/ADHD and really need to be medicated. Might be a good topic to examine. :)

As far as the Ativan is concerned, hon, do what feels right to you. If you really feel the stress building, and feel you won't be able to do a good job (or any job at all) without something to help calm your nerves, there's nothing wrong with taking the medication. That's what it's prescribed for, eh? There will be plenty of time to taper off when the stress level isn't so high.

ThatLady

Heh. I just thought of another psychology-based speech idea...

Do one on that idiot Tom Cruise and his uneducated suggestions for how to deal with mental disorders. :eek:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.