More threads by cutter74

cutter74

well glad I found this place when it comes to self harm I've done alought of it mostly on my arms im 30/m which I guess in the self harm world is weird most of the help I've sought off the internet was for women teen girls mostly.

I have a great psychiatrist as well as a great family doc who have tried to help the best they can but I guess in this area there are no self harm programs that they can recomend.

Me and my doc have been trying to study why I do it for awhile I thought it was an addiction due to the fact that it gave me a kinda high, but now I'm not so sure do to the fact that I've gone as long as 2 months without cutting, I,ve read some of the other posts and alought of you talk about your scars I too have alought of them mostly on my arms in april I had surgery skin graft for a self inflicted burn which was pretty embarassing the plastic surgeon was very nice but I still felt like shit like I was waisting her time.

That was april I managed to go from then until a week ago without doing anything, but things got to me and I cut myself, I think or well I know I'm not a very asertive person so I brush off things that bother me and let things build and then it seems the cutting is like a pressure valve exploding it gets rid of alought of built up frustration and anger which is why it feels good I guess.

Anyway thanks for listening good to be here.

ps... a junkie has rehab, an alcoholic has AA and a self harmer has ??????

cutter74

new member saying hello and to let you know about me

hello dr. Baxter we are both in Ottawa was just wondering if you knew of any self harm support groups in this area?
thanks.

Heather

It can be hard to find support groups for this type of thing, I am no where near you so I can't help but I do hope that you find one.

Are there any that are not that but similar and so could be of use that you could at least look into?

Heather...

cutter74

hey thanks for the response heather and DR.baxter saw my doc today and was told he managed to get the drug revia covered for me for 6 months from health canada told me it's a drug that will block any high or positive feeling I get from self harm so I'm starting it tomorrow and I'll just hope for the best. so we'll see.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Interesting. I'm not familiar with that medication. I'll see what I can find out about it.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Fascinating. Thanks, Daniel. I was just starting to do a search.

Abstract and more inforkmation posted here.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

BTW, since ReVia is also prescribed to help with narcotic and alcohol addiction, your doctor hopefully told you to avoid alcohol and drugs that contain narcotics or alcohol:

Do not take any prescription or over-the-counter medicine to treat a cold, cough, pain, or diarrhea while taking naltrexone without first talking to your doctor. These medicines may contain narcotics or alcohol.

Do not take naltrexone with any of the following drugs without first talking to your doctor:

disulfiram (Antabuse);
thioridazine (Mellaril);
buprenorphine (Buprenex, Subutrex);
codeine (Tylenol with Codeine, others);
hydrocodone (Lorcet, Lortab, Vicodin, Vicoprofen, others);
hydromorphone (Dilaudid);
levorphanol (Levo-Dromoran);
meperidine (Demerol);
methadone (Dolophine, Methadose);
morphine (Kadian, MS Contin, MSIR, OMS, Roxanol, Oramorph SR, others);
oxycodone (M-Oxy, OxyContin, OxyIR, Roxicodone, Percocet, Percodan, others);
oxymorphone (Numorphan); or
propoxyphene (Darvon, Darvocet, others).

Naltrexone - Yahoo Health

cutter74

Yes he also reminded me to write down on paper that I was on the drug and keep it with me due to the fact if I were ever in an accident and required narcotics for pain I would need a much higher dose due to the fact that the med would pretty much block out reg dose but he said in a higher dose the narcotic would win, so I've gone 1 step further and told a family member that I'm on the drug just in case accident leaves me unable to communicate.
again thanks for the replys.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.