More threads by Retired

Retired

During the Christmas / New Years season, we seem to be swamped with TV commercials for weight loss programs, stop smoking programs, financial help programs.. all geared to take advantage of people's New Year's Resolutions.

Are New Year's resolutions a realistic way to change aspects of one's life?

Have you made New Year's resolutions that have resulted in the changes you expected?

What are some New Year's resolutions that can succeed?

just mary

I've never had much luck with New Year's resolutions. My resolutions have always been pretty average, the typical "lose weight", start a fitness program, etc.

I believe that we make changes when we're ready, when we have the courage and that usually doesn't happen right after Christmas. By New Year's Eve we're generally over fed, over tired and shell shocked - in other words, in no position to make life altering changes.

But for some people it works - it just never did for me.

Maybe resolutions should be small but significant, for example, I promise to help one person, once a week, in some way. I think something like that might work. It's a resolution that not only changes your life but some one else's too - hopefully for the better. It takes the focus off yourself.

jm

i don't bother with new year's resolutions either. never really saw the point. why wait til january 1st to improve something in my life when i can start today? :)

Banned

Banned
I'm with That Lady and Ladybug. If I want to change something in my life, I'm not going to wait for a special occasion to do so. Every day is a new day, it just happens that January 1 is the first day on the calendar so we all jump on board! Nah...not me...

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
My resolutions are fun:

1. Get more freebies.
2. Clean the floors less often since that's a job for robots, i.e. the iRobot roomba mentioned before in this forum.
3. Buy better quality frozen pizza even if it costs more.
4. Spend less time on the Internet so that I can spend more time watching DVDs.

Misha

Last year my new years resolution was to stay out of hospital (silly to think I had so much control....) and I ended up in hospital over half the year.
This year my new years resolution is to make a new years resolution next year. It is a perfect resolution. It makes me laugh, it accents my wonderful quality of procrastination, and it is deeply significant because implicit in it is the idea that I make it through the coming year.

My resolutions are fun:

1. Get more freebies.
2. Clean the floors less often since that's a job for robots, i.e. the iRobot roomba mentioned before in this forum.
3. Buy better quality frozen pizza even if it costs more.
4. Spend less time on the Internet so that I can spend more time watching DVDs.

love it daniel
i also only make resolutions for the fun of it. I forgot this year... i was too.... um.... merry:dimples:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.