More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No Coffee, No Anxiety
by Linda
Friday, February 16, 2007

I began having chronic anxiety and panic attacks during a very stressful period in my life. As time passed and the stresses went away, my anxiety got much better, but never fully left. For years I lived with a the constant sense of dread and that feeling that something was off. I had medication in case of emergency, but I rarely took it. I am not a person who is comfortable taking medication on a regular basis and I never wanted to be dependent on a substance to get through the day. So I lived with it.

I stopped drinking coffee because I noticed that it was making me feel a bit nauseated on a regular basis. I didn't remove caffeine completely -- I started drinkine tea instead. It was about two weeks without coffee when I realized that the anxious feeling was gone. Completely. The ONLY change I made in my life at the time was cutting out the coffee. That was more than two years ago and the anxiety has never returned, even in stressful situations. It may sound crazy, but I'm a firm believer that coffee was the cause of my anxiety.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.