More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
OCD and Social Scrupulosity
by ocdtalk
August 3, 2012

I had never even heard of social scrupulosity before, so at the International OCD Conference last week, I decided to attend a session on the subject. I had always associated scrupulosity in OCD with unreasonable religious expectations of one?s self. It turns out that scrupulosity can refer to unreasonable expectations of one?s self in various realms. Social Scrupulosity exists when the sufferer has an obsessive fear of harming the feelings of others. This is extremely distressing and can interfere greatly with daily life.

I immediately thought of my son Dan. When his OCD became severe in college, he totally isolated himself from his friends. I?ve talked about his sense of hyper-responsibility , and the way I understand it, social scrupulosity is a type of hyper-responsibility. Those with social scrupulosity may believe that giving their opinion, negotiating, or being assertive in any way, will bring harm to others. In Dan?s case, one of the ways he dealt with his social scrupulosity was through avoidance of his friends. By avoiding them, he wouldn?t have to deal with the anxiety and fear of saying the wrong thing, or of expressing the wrong thoughts. Other common ways of dealing with social scrupulosity include engaging in compulsions such as constantly apologizing for saying something wrong or ?checking? to make sure the person you think you may be harming is okay. Those with social scrupulosity may become extremely inhibited: never asking for help or voicing concerns. Indeed they often will not express themselves in any way.

As I?ve written before, the thoughts and behaviors of those with OCD are often no different from those who do not have the disorder. It is the severity that sets them apart. I can easily relate to social scrupulosity, and while sitting in the seminar, it didn?t take me long to think of an example. The evening before, I had taken a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The air-conditioning was on full force and blowing right on me. I was freezing. But I didn?t say a word. I associated being assertive in this situation as a negative thing. What if everyone else was comfortable? I didn?t want to ruin the ride for the other passengers. As it turns out, somebody else eventually asked the driver to warm things up a bit, and of course, nobody was offended. My guess is, they were all as pleased as I was. Of course this example is on the mild end of the social scrupulosity continuum, and had more to do with not being assertive than anything else.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can help those with OCD who deal with social scrupulosity. It can also help those of us who don?t have OCD but struggle with assertiveness. I learned a lot in this session, and can?t wait for next year?s conference in Atlanta. I?m already planning on asking for a temperature adjustment on the van ride from the airport.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

What is hyper-responsibility?

Also known as an inflated sense of responsibility, hyper-responsibility is when you feel that you have more control over the world than you actually do.

You might feel responsible for things that you can’t realistically control, including how other people behave and feel, natural disasters, accidents, and more. When something goes wrong, you might blame yourself and feel guilty.

You might also take action to “fix” the problem or prevent it from happening again, even if it’s totally out of your control. An inflated sense of responsibility may also lead to other behaviors, such as:
  • people-pleasing, which might be an attempt to control how others feel about you
  • giving a lot of money or time to charitable causes, to your own detriment
  • over-researching unlikely threats because you feel it’s your duty to prevent them from happening
While these behaviors don’t necessarily mean that you have OCD, they can also be a result of hyper-responsibility. However, many people with OCD also face hyper-responsibility.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Intolerance of uncertainty and excessive responsibility taking often go hand in hand...

The trap for people with intolerance of uncertainty is that sometimes behaviors like overthinking, doing extra checking, seeking extra information, and taking excessive responsibility do help prevent things going wrong.

Look at whether, on balance, these things help you or whether they mostly just perpetuate your stress and anxiety, hold you back, and cause problems in your relationships. You can then make adjustments based on your own assessment.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.